Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stroker/Sleeved 3.2L Turbo (Borg Warner EFR-7163)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:11 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So ARP doesn't make head studs for the 2.7/2.5 head on a 3.0 block (factory 2.7 stud size), but I found an ARP stud that fits! So those came in yesterday.
I have an extra set if anyone needs - $175 with nuts and washers.
Hopefully I can get in and get this going soon!
Old 08-10-2018, 12:17 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Ill take em
Old 08-10-2018, 12:45 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

sending pm!
Here is a factory 2.7 stud next to the ARP

Last edited by PDX-944; 08-10-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

head and cam tower installed today.
studs didn't want to go in all the way, had to chase a few times and finally go them all in nicely.
almost forgot the onion skin seal on the end of the cam when assembling... glad that's the only one now that I have no balance shafts.

oh yeah, got the BS drains welded up! so much more simple and clean without them.
the end is in sight. it sucks I have such good vision... still a ways away. but its there!
ordered a wizard radiator today too. hillclimbs are hard in that sense. run really hard for a few minutes, then park in the blazing sun. I have a feeling this motor will be warm.

the Lindsey AC delete bracket doesn't fit the quest alternator without some grinding, so ill have to do that at some point too.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 AM
PDX-944
Instructor

I've gotten the front of the motor together, timing belt in place, but I forgot to order an idler roller and pulley for the tensioner, so waiting on those.
Ordered a new 4an line for the oil feed which is tapped directly to the block where the feed would have been for the balance shaft bearing.
Got the turbo on for mockup, all looks good.
Also got my new semi solid mounts in the mail and picked up my parts dash to fill the cracks and flock with burgundy flocking.
Not sure if I mentioned I ordered a wizard radiator.
I DESPERATELY need to remember to tap for the "steam vent", which I keep forgetting to do.
Here's a pic before I got it all together :

Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The plastic neck on the front of the water pump is an open passage correct? I only ask because I have seen people put the NA one on without realizing it when taking apart turbo cars that still have the turbo water pump attached.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:14 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by gruhsy
The plastic neck on the front of the water pump is an open passage correct? I only ask because I have seen people put the NA one on without realizing it when taking apart turbo cars that still have the turbo water pump attached.
LOL that would suck. well, technically it wouldn't suck at all because its plugged haha
i always thought the plastic neck looks cheesy. but you should see with the quest alternator on - its filthy... but I don't care that much about looks, otherwise I would have repainted the cam tower which you can see is chipping! in the end, it just looks like a 944 motor with no balance shafts, so its not really "show-y". not like you can tell its bored and stroked! I just want to drive the darn thing
Old 09-06-2018, 03:46 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

I see alot of engines getting built with the Balanceshaft deletes, how often do you go over the bolts on the engine?
Do you get at harmonic damper infront?

Nice engine build, whats the HP / TQ target?

Erik
Old 09-06-2018, 03:43 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

I have never built a motor without balance shafts. My plan is to leave the motor at a high idle, as my research has indicated that most of the vibration occurs at low rpm. I have read that once driving at moderate rpm, it does not feel much different than with balance shafts. I guess we will find out...!
The nice thing is - there are a ton less bolts and parts, and much greater access to parts without the balance shafts in place. It made assembly SO much more simple.

As far as hp/tq targets, I have no idea. I was just reading of a 2.7 or 8 L pushing 450HP, so I'm guessing conservatively mid 500s?
I will say I am not going for crazy numbers as a primary goal. I am just looking to make up what I can against the v8s that have power on demand coming out of corners. This should be sufficient... That is why I am sticking with a smaller turbo - quick spool.

I have absolutely no doubts that with a cam, bigger turbo, and a few other simple things, this motor could be a monster. But I also don't want to have to work on it often (lol), so by keeping moderate boost at 16-18 pounds, I believe I have relatively over-built the motor and should find some reliability, assuming it doesn't shake apart like a wet dog after a bath.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

I guess I never posted my old motor picture... I wonder why power was down????
looks like a previous owner had a problem and crossed their fingers.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:43 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

oh shi....
Old 09-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you had the motor apart, why didn't you spend a little time cleaning up the cam tower?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:56 AM
PDX-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paulyy
when you had the motor apart, why didn't you spend a little time cleaning up the cam tower?
I considered it. I've always been one to care more about driving than looks, and my time has been pretty limited. I may eventually get one looking pretty and swap it, but I have races to go win!
I went back and forth on it for a while though, I just don't have many days I can go work on things
Old 09-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX-944
I considered it. I've always been one to care more about driving than looks, and my time has been pretty limited. I may eventually get one looking pretty and swap it, but I have races to go win!
I went back and forth on it for a while though, I just don't have many days I can go work on things
if you dont have many days fair enough, but it been a while building it?

For me, if and when im building something, do it all once the first time.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM
PDX-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paulyy
if you dont have many days fair enough, but it been a while building it?

For me, if and when im building something, do it all once the first time.
Yeah, it took me forever just to get to the point where the cam tower was off. It was off the old and on the new in two work days!
It's not hard to buy one, paint, and swap later when I have more time or do a belt job. Don't tempt me Bad influence! Lol

Quick Reply: Stroker/Sleeved 3.2L Turbo (Borg Warner EFR-7163)