Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 05:49 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diffuser

I've seen in multiple articles on the 951s now that the aero package not only included a flush windshield and new front fascia, but there was also a little underbody addition in the back... Now I'm familiar with the new rear valence... but I've yet to seen a vaned-diffuser. Could anyone post a picture of two showing it? Or if the new rear valence IS the diffuser, could you post a better photo than most that will demonstrate that??

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Kevin,
Are you saying there was a factory aero package in addition to the aero upgrades the 951 received vs. the previous 944's?
Old 12-27-2003, 06:32 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

no no no... I was reading a book I just got called "The Ultimate Guide to Porsche" I believe... and they mentioned a rear diffuser being added to the 944 model's original bodywork. I'm wondering if the 951's rear valence actually acts as a diffuser or if it's an entirely different element. I haven't seen a picture of any diffuser vanes... and if the book considers any upward sloping rear to be a diffuser, than why wasn't the 944's rear considered otherwise (that's a pretty broad definition of diffuser if ya ask me!)??

-Kevin
Old 12-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

They are talking about the rear valance. There is no other part under there, this I can assure you.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Redshift
Instructor

The understated spoiler beneath the rear bumper on all Turbos IS the diffuser. It does not have any cosmetic vanes, in terms of today's ricer diffusers.

There was a valance available in the aftermarket which covered the entire rear area beneath the bumper. Its appearance had several slots and a cutout for the tailpipe. It was merely a valance (i.e., a coverup piece) and not a functional diffuser however.

Quick Reply: Rear Diffuser