Ebay rip off... Had to happen some time

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:18 AM
meangreen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ebay rip off... Had to happen some time

Howdy,
I purchased a used MAF kit off Ebay a few months back and finally getting around to seeing how it all works. The parts looked fine and all of them were there. The MAF, Air Filter, Hose, Clamps and ARC2. After finding the instal instructions I began to notice problems.

The ARC2 only has 3 wires out the back, Red, White and Black. I opened it up to see if they were cut off too short or something and found basically an empty circuit board and no traces of the other missing wires. The only circuits on the board are some resistors, two transistors, and 5 LED's mounted on standoffs.

Further inspection shows the board silkscreened with "Split Second" and "TMC1.99100-03" I am pretty sure there are more circuits required to complete the build and make it do its job. I also think the TMC1 is another product all together. The rear plate also has some grinding marks in a small area on the lower corner, looks like the place for a serial number or ID sticker.

Well it was going to happen some time, there is always some one there to rip you off! The guy is in california and I will see if I can track him down. I think I still have his phone and address.

Look out guys, these F&%*ng people are out there!!!

Drive On,
MeanGreen
Old 12-26-2003, 03:16 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear you! eBay and Paypal do nothing for you at all. Steve R ripped me off when he screwed up a deal for some parts. I got ripped off and they do nothing about it. You are lucky to get his number etc! Very lucky, makes me think maybe the guy did not know about the parts missing? Why would he give you his details if he knew you would be back to confront him? As any normal purchaser would...
Old 12-26-2003, 03:24 AM
meangreen
Advanced

You are correct on the info part. Makes no sence to me either. I saw he sold another unit with the same description shortly after mine. I sent an email to that buyer to see how his product was. Just waiting for a reply.

What a bummer! But better to find out know before I have the car ripped into and trying to wire everything. I also see that the MAF used is a modified Ford F8LF from a 4.6L Mustang GT. I think this is normal though for the MAF kit.

MeanGreen
Old 12-26-2003, 05:28 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is he in California?

And... NEVER use PayPal. You have ZERO recourse...

TonyG (in California)
Old 12-26-2003, 07:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how was the seller's eBay feedback? I've made at least 15 different eBay purchases over the past 6 years and not a problem. All my sellers had lots of positive feedback, though.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have yet to have a problem whn I buy something on ebay. I buy and sell a lot, and I have had deadbeat bidders, but that's not as big a deal. Just make sure to buy stuff from people with good feedback. Most people out there are honest, but there are jerks too.

meangreen, FWIW, my father's business used to grind the numbers off of chips and stuff that they would put in some of their machines sometimes, this was just done so that it would be harder for people to copy the products.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure the seller you are referring to has sold stuff in our classifieds section.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:23 PM
meangreen
Advanced

The seller is located in El Cajon California. His feedback was zero when I purchased but he linked it to his old account. I paid with a bank check and he shipped it to my address. I talked with him several times on the phone and everything seemed ok. Here is his Ebay info if any one else has delt with him. He has 2 accounts.
vonhinton01
LONNY1965

Drive On,
MeanGreen
Old 12-26-2003, 12:49 PM
meangreen
Advanced

I have great success with Ebay as a seller and a buyer, but this would seem as a scam by someone to sell an item that has no parts inside. He states that he is the original owner, and as so should have an idea if there are any problems, especiall this big.

Thanks guys for the replys, I hope i can recover something from this but more than likely it will be a learning experiance.

MeanGreen
Old 12-26-2003, 01:15 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you know his name? you can find out some more info about the guy at http://www.switchboard.com/
give it a try

you can take him to small claims court, since he lives locally.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:20 PM
meangreen
Advanced

Small claims is a good idea, may be able to recoup a little cash.

Thanks,
Meangreen
Old 12-26-2003, 01:25 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

out of curiosity how much did you pay for the maf?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:58 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the phone number?
Old 12-26-2003, 03:15 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

This happens. I am selling and buying on ebay from time to time and I have met both sellers and buyers who do not want to follow through with the transactions or they just rip you off.

My ebay user ID's are rk013 and carfreak20002 if anybody should come across those.

If you buy on ebay make sure that the seller did not only buy on ebay but also did selling transactions as those require a bit more then just paying the money through paypal with the click of a mouse.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:46 PM
meangreen
Advanced

The Ebay contact information came back as this:
Darrin Elbertin
El Cajon, CA
(619) 448-1755

I called and no such person is there or has been there. Its an answer machine with a female voice. This name also is not who I made the check out to. The search continues... oh yea, this cost me $800.00 for the empty ARC2 and parts. Maybe I can salvage some of them.

MeanGreen

Quick Reply: Ebay rip off... Had to happen some time