Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo and downpipe install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
And Venturi Delete. Get rid of all the extra vacuum lines.
I have an 88. Don’t think my car has all the Venturi lines, but I’ll check while I’m under there.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I did the AOS seals in September. The technique on the Pelican Parts how-to worked for me in getting to the one bolt with the welded nut (see image below or link here https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm)

However, it was pretty seized and it snapped. This led to the removal of the crossover pipe. Mentally prepare for this possibility... and the ordering of yet more seals.

What isn't mentioned enough is the rust-seized exhaust fasteners you'll likely run into. Bolts / studs will break, and you'll end up with extra jobs such as drilling things out. If you have access to a big torch, get it, or plan to bring pieces to someone that does. Of course, you'll think it proper to use new exhaust gaskets, order the (expensive) rings, then when trying to remove the old ones, wonder how the heck this will go? Removing the old ring exhaust seals is one surprise I didn't care for.

I had very little issue with that infamous turbo long-bolt. In fact, all the usual 'issues' weren't so bad; it's the other stuff you'd don't read much about that stalls you big.

Oh.. I didn't use any special tools for the actual "by the book" parts; did buy a new allen socket set so but that's not special really. Surprising small amount of tools needed.. basic sockets and such. It's the torches... drill bits... and unorthodox solving of non-book problems that's the real bugger!

Old 03-11-2018, 03:35 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

More good advice thank you very much! So what Techniques did you use to get the exhaust rings out of the old exhaust pipes?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
More good advice thank you very much! So what Techniques did you use to get the exhaust rings out of the old exhaust pipes?
After endless banging with a variety of (now broken) manual tools, I ended up taking a drill with a skinny bit and carefully drilled a hole into the rings. This allowed me to finally start prying. Funny, once you get through a ring somehow and pry it up, they seem to release and large parts just come out.

Unless its ring just pops out, do yourself a big favour and plan to remove the catalytic converter.

Yep, more gaskets to order and wait for!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Preparing to install my wastegate, today I just took 2 more exhaust rings out of pipes attached to the original wastegate.

Thought I'd post my hack technique. If anyone knows a proper way or special tool, please enlighten me.

Step One: center punch

Step Two: drill tiny hole, top layer only (ring is hollow)

Step Three: stick screwdrivers of all shapes into hole and bang with hammer until a groove is made. After much time, swearing, meditation, and thoughts of giving up, lifting starts.

Then, magic: the whole thing lifts out. Watch this miracle in action!

I'd rather gap 100 reference sensors than do this
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

My god the horror!!! 😩😩😩.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

My god the horror!!! 😩😩😩.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Wait till you have to scrape old intake manifold gaskets half glued to the head and half to the intake, all without damaging or marring the mating surfaces in any way and keeping crap out of falling into the holes.

Or, pulling fuel injectors. What? They don't just pop out? Even better: when you put them back in, suddenly the rail won't push on the o-rings. Doesn't fit.

Buy extra fuel injector kits

With these cars, it seems every simple operation presents some problem requiring years of mechanic know-how to solve... stuff not included in the instructions.

That said... the rewards of pulling it off are big indeed. Certainly, the help we get from those that succeeded is invaluable.

It is a golden time to take on the challenges!

Quick Reply: Turbo and downpipe install