Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help! Broken WP bolt with jagged edge - best method of drilling out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:18 PM
darkesp
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Awesome work, congrats! Better than new (literally)!

Is it my imagination, or is there an insert in the hole to the right too?

I'd suggest a nylon brush and a bottle of simple green to clean up the oily stuff...
Thanks! Haha, yes, the Porsche Active Corrosion Protection System (tm) has been working overdrive, plenty of cleaning to do. Trying to strike a balance between scrubbing but also not getting debris in delicate areas until the motor is closed up again. I started this job because it had been 5 years since the last timing belt, but once I dove deeper, it seems that everything that could possibly leak oil is doing just that. So, it's getting all of the while-you're-in-there stuff I can manage, including seals, sandblasting and refinishing of crusty parts, new hardware, hose clamps, etc. She'll never be a concours winner, but hopefully I end up with a solid driver at the end.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM
darkesp
5th Gear

Originally Posted by audisport
Nice job. Yeah, looks like there's an insert there already. And if he's saying he drilled out a broken bit, that seems about right.
Yeah, looks like they put in a timesert or something similar with a counterbore flange. Probably made of steel, I was surprised at how corroded it was. Threads seem fine though, so it stays for now. I'm guessing they had multiple bolt deaths on the last WP job and only got one out successfully.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM
darkesp
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Nice work, glad to hear it worked out.

Not sure what process you used to clean out the hole but at work we have refillable plastic spray bottles with your typical adjustable spray nozzle. I use Isopropyl alcohol, Naptha or degreasers with water to clean out thread holes all the time. This is when installing new hardware or inserts or painting parts. It works very well and I have found when it comes to painting it does a better job than compressed air alone. Hundreds of threads on the stuff I work on....it's just become habit with any of this type of thing. It always surprises me just when you think threads are cleaned out.....spray in more liquid and out comes more crud.
Thanks - I'm coming from the BMW world, which has a very impressive community, but I'm still amazed at the involvement over here. Good tip on the thread cleaning. I'm quickly learning that I need to adjust my workflow to suit a 30 year old car: soak everything in penetrating oil, wake up hardware, always think about your next move before applying more torque, and clean the crap out of everything.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:59 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

When I have a badly rusted bolt in a vertical surface like this, I build a little 'dam' on the surface from plumbers putty (sorta like modeling clay) and fill it with penetrating oil. Make the dam like a swallows nest on a cliffside and make sure that it's top is high enough to completely submerge the bolt in penetrant. Let the penetrant set overnight. If you come out and find that the penetrant is gone, you know that it has all soaked into the threads. Repeat the cycle until you are sure that it has had enough. Then try to unscrew or drill out the broken bolt.
I have found this to work much better than just spraying penetrant on a broken bolt in a vertical surface only to have most of it just run off on the floor. I have removed some really badly rusted stubs this way.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:24 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That is a dam great idea. Thanks for that one!!!!

Originally Posted by Spring44
When I have a badly rusted bolt in a vertical surface like this, I build a little 'dam' on the surface from plumbers putty (sorta like modeling clay) and fill it with penetrating oil. Make the dam like a swallows nest on a cliffside and make sure that it's top is high enough to completely submerge the bolt in penetrant. Let the penetrant set overnight. If you come out and find that the penetrant is gone, you know that it has all soaked into the threads. Repeat the cycle until you are sure that it has had enough. Then try to unscrew or drill out the broken bolt.
I have found this to work much better than just spraying penetrant on a broken bolt in a vertical surface only to have most of it just run off on the floor. I have removed some really badly rusted stubs this way.

Quick Reply: Help! Broken WP bolt with jagged edge - best method of drilling out?