Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intercooler upgrade / modification (Ebay/Chinese vs Garrett)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some bad news, I took it for a drive to get onto some boost. Drove back in and noticed a few drops of coolant on the floor. Back on the hoist and i put compressed air into the cooling system, While pressurising the system, the radiator started leaking coolant quite heavily. I did use im regulated air from the compressor, and im not sure how much psi i put into it, but it wasn't to much. enough to find a leak. So i'll be putting a new radiator in. Probably not OEM but a larger PWR core. I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow and discuss what i can do. So there wont be any back to back tests that are comparable if i get a more modern and larger radiator.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

since you can tig howabout fabbing new tanks for the 951 rad core (unless that's where it was leaking?)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
since you can tig howabout fabbing new tanks for the 951 rad core (unless that's where it was leaking?)
It appears to leak from the seal of the plastic tanks. I dont believe it' possible to tig new tanks onto that core as it's made to be crimped. Cored designed to be welded have aluminium bars on the sides to you can apply a fair amount of heat to penetrate the core.

I'll end up buying a new core and make my own end tanks. It'll be a little more involved than the IC tanks as there will be bungs ect welded on.
Im not sure how thick our stock ones are, but PWR make radiators for the 944t which are 55mm thick 2 core. It appears to be thicker, but not sure.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:35 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul - Very common if your car has been sitting a while. The tank seals are cork and they dry and shrink. Usually will "heal itself" in a few days.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Paul - Very common if your car has been sitting a while. The tank seals are cork and they dry and shrink. Usually will "heal itself" in a few days.
Shawn, Unfortunately the car doesn't sit. I've noticed coolant drops here and there, but i thought it was my sensor on the radiator until i pressured the system and saw it leaking from the side and sensor was dry. I've already ordered a PWR unit, same size core as factory, just slightly thicker. I'll make my own end tanks for it.
Im going to pull the AC condenser out and eventually pull the AC. i dont use it. i never drive it when it's hot outside. that will give more air to the radiator also.

Quick Reply: Intercooler upgrade / modification (Ebay/Chinese vs Garrett)