Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch Replacement Parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 08:33 PM
Lyon 951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Replacement Parts

I'm replacing a stock clutch after 75,000 miles. The last time I had it replaced we put in new everything. The throw-out bearing looks feels and sounds good. I was not into any of the rivets, so the pressure plate and flywheel faces are good as well.

I am tempted to replace just the clutch disk.

What is the combined experience regarding this move? I am told by those who want to sell me parts that at least the needle bearings should be replaced. What do you all think?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a saying in the repair business...it goes like this....PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER. Do you really want to have all that crap apart to have to do it again in 8 months (lets say it makes it a year before those parts need to be replaced). It sure is a PITA do have to do it twice.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Clutch Replacement Parts

Originally posted by Lyon 951
I'm replacing a stock clutch after 75,000 miles. The last time I had it replaced we put in new everything. The throw-out bearing looks feels and sounds good.
I am right now replacing the clutch in my 75k mile car. The throw out bearing was toast as well as the clutch release fork shaft. The throw out bearing went from being quit to noisy to siezing up in the period of about a 4~6 weeks. My clutch disk was worn, but not to the rivets. Personally I would just do it all and be set for another 75k, while you are in there.

If you are planning to go with a stock clutch again, this auction seems like a good deal for the major portion of the parts.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Matt. Yes it is a few hundred more to get it all done. Throw out bearings are cheap anyway, so is a new guide tube, pressure plate bolts, etc. Do it right the first time and have pc of mind, just my .02 worth.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:49 PM
MySwiss
Pro

it's all a question, of how often you want to take the whole thing apart. If you have lots of patience and time on your hands, then put it back,just with a new clutch disc.

If your getting it done by someone else,that your paying for,you may as well bite the bullet and install at least all new bearings, shaft. Make sure your pressure plate or flywheel is no spotted (blue),before you reuse these parts.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:07 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the above posts, replace the rear main seal also
Old 12-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going through this same biz right now with the 83 and agree with what has been said.

It's also a good idea to replace the pilot bearing. The SKF only costs around $10 and isn't a big deal to replace. I put in a new main seal, flywheel bolts (9), clutch bolts (9), and got a used resurfaced flywheel, since mine has been machined twice (3rd clutch after original on this 205K mile car) and was getting a little thin.

SACHS all the way this time. Last time the spring-centered disc was Centerforce. It's lasted 70K miles, and was just now starting to slip, so I can't complain, but I would definitely recommend (and I am) replacing all the components because this is a big job on a 944.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement Parts