944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Rebuild - Garret or KKK ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004 | 01:33 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

The TO4E hybrids are all bolt on's except for anything with a 50 trim wheel and bigger. You will need a short water temp sensor and you will need to bend the water cooling pipe. You may or may not need to grind the top of the turbo housing a little bit as well. I did some trial fitting on my car last night (no cylinder head so I don't know if i will need to grind it), but it fit pretty well after I clocked it. TEC and Turbonetics are very familiar with our cars and will give you a turbo that will bolt up without needing custom exhaust mods. My particular turbo was a #8 exhaust.

EDIT: 50 trim and bigger are still bolt ons, they just need more grinding to fit.
Old 01-12-2004 | 01:50 PM
User 41221
Banned

Badcoupe, what don't you like about the K27?

Regards,
Old 01-12-2004 | 01:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I bought mine from Majestic in Waco, TX for reference. Mine is .57 trim and I dont see where it is going to need ground down (well, maybe an oh so tiny bit).

The only problem with Majestic is that their invoices are rather sparse as far as deatils about your turbo go. Great price though.
Old 01-12-2004 | 10:47 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

My K-27 never felt much better than my 26. Although my europroducts might not have agrred with it. Even with the MAP kit it doesn't run like it used to, but the one summer I raced the car alot I ran her pretty hard and I think it's begging for overhaul. So can I put a TO4E compressor on my kkk stuff or is it a start from scratch deal? My K-27 is only a year and a few months old but it's making noise if I get it up to the edge of boost and come off the throttle it moans. I'd rather upgrade while I'm at it. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2004 | 11:05 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Badcoupe,
Have you checked your BOV? There's a lot of us running bad ones without knowing it. Sometimes they can make a funny noise and hurt performance. Kinda sounds like a turkey when you have a MAF (like mine).

If you don't feel a big difference with a k27, I'd look elsewhere before buying another turbo. Plugged exhaust, vaccum leaks, exhaust leaks. I found out my emissions tube was leaking pressure that should have gone to my turbo.

Just my .02
Old 01-12-2004 | 11:12 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I run a blitz BOV and it's working fine although I put a new 996 one on when I replaced the turbo, before I bought the blitz. It ran pretty damn good the first night out and that was about it. I have a tial WG to put on yet. My cats are gutted completely out until I get around to fabbing a testpipe. I've ran the car hard alot and it's showing. I've also wondered about the headgasket but it never puts water in the oil and never overheats, I ran my chemical teast on it awhile back with good results. I'm starting to burn some oil now So I'm gonna freshen it up shortly (I hope) I waish the thing was as good as everyone else thinks they are. I'll probably leave it on until it self destructs like my 26 did. Car is frustrating me!

Quick Reply: Turbo Rebuild - Garret or KKK ?