Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does anybody know what this thingie is next to the cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Does anybody know what this thingie is next to the cluster?

I pulled my cluster and when I put it back in....the car will run for just about 10 seconds.....like it doesn't have gas, running at 500 RPM or so, then it dies.

I just hooked my wide band back up and it appears that it's running very lean, about 21:1 at this time....so what I think happened is that the piggy back fueling system is no longer powered up, but not certain.

And I started my car AFTER hooking up the wide band an hour ago but BEFORE pulling the cluster and it was right where it should be around 15:1 at idle.

The previous owner installed the system, I don't like how it was wired in but can't do anything about that right now.

What is this little piece to the right of the cluster with the two wires?

Because it has a insulation displacement connector with a red wire attached to it, and I'm thinking that could be the power supply to the piggy back system. But when I measure voltage on it, it's not powered up with the ignition on.....so I'm not sure.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ODO/trip reset switch. There's a hidden button on the grill that resets it. pretty neat.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

good call Paulyy.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Wow....I always knew that there was the little button to reset the trip computer but I guess I never put two and two together that it was electrical.....but that's pretty stupid of me to think otherwise.

So I confirmed that it was the POWER SUPPLY to the piggy back fuel system! OMG....on the trip reset circuit?

It now has no power, maybe because I took the instrument cluster connectors off and one didn't seat right? Here is a picture of the red wire that goes to the piggy back system:

Name:  fpZm6hn.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  247.8 KB

I jumped it to the battery and the car started right up and ran normally, so at least I have that going for me.

Any ideas where to tap to get the power supply for the piggy back system down by the DME?

Thanks for the help Paulyy
Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i'd remove that and put the power somewhere else. all it does it lifts a solenoid inside the cluster.

I can't remember where mines connected to. I dont think it was the headunit though, As that connects the lights also.

Quick Reply: Does anybody know what this thingie is next to the cluster?