Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

injector/fuel rail trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 06:05 AM
sean.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector/fuel rail trouble

I'm having trouble reinstalling the injectors/fuel rail. It seems like the injectors should "click" into the intake manifold, but I could only get one injector to "click" into manifold and the fuel rail.

I've read the Clarks write-up, but I just can't seem to pop the injectors into the manifold and the fuel rail. I've lubed up the o-rings with AT-fluid. And I've tried installing the injectors into the manifold first and then pushing the fuel rail onto the injectors, but then I can't get the injectors to pop into the fuel rail far enough to slide the clips in. Its almost like the injectors are too short or the fuel rail mounts are too long.

Searched all over the archives, but I haven't found this problem. Am I missing something? Is there some trick to this, its seems straight forward (then again, working on this car has taught me nothing on this car is straight forward with the possible exception of pumping gas). Please guys, any insights would be mucho appreciated.

-sean 86' 951
Old 12-10-2003, 08:09 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Into which set of slots on the tops of the injectors do you have your keeper clips installed?

Old 12-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

There is no recess for the o-ring so I don't think you will experience any clicking. As long as you have passed the conical part and have tightened down the rail you should be fine.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:14 PM
sean.
Advanced

Tool, I'm using very top most slot on the injectors to clip. So the injector/fuel rail is at its most lengthy state.

Bengt, the o-rings are into the conical part of the manifold, but are still visible. I've heard somewhere that the o-rings should not be visible when installed correctly (I just can't remember how my old injectors where seated). I can tighten all the bolts down on the fuel rail. How far down do the injectors have to be? Right now I have one (the one nearest the fire wall) all the way down into the manifold and all the way into the fuel rail (o-ring not visible and fully seated).

I thought most people were putting the injectors in the manifold first and then putting the fuel rail on top of the injectors. If I do it this way I can't get the clips into the tops of the injectors.

Thanks for the replies guys

-sean 86' 951
Old 12-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sean
T
I thought most people were putting the injectors in the manifold first and then putting the fuel rail on top of the injectors. If I do it this way I can't get the clips into the tops of the injectors.

How far do you have to lift the injectors to get the clip to slide in? If you are only talking a mm or two, you could always hook everything up, start the car and have a friend on standby with a fire extinguisher. If no leaks, just keep a close eye on it for a while until you are confident that the injectors are well sealed. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:12 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude - you know what - your old injectors left their bottom o-rings inside the manifold. Check it out.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:39 PM
sean.
Advanced

Ben, I just might do that. The fuel rail goes on just fine. I cleaned the manifold injector receptacles with a q-tip to get all the grit and grime out before installing the new injectors, so I know the old o-rings are hiding somewhere.

I'm thinking about sanding down the manifold/fuel rail mounting down a bit.

-sean 86' 951
Old 12-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

I know that all of the manuals, etc say that the fuel that is leaking everywhere is sufficent lubrication to slide the O-rings into the rail and manifold, but i have found that if i take a tiny bit of all purpose grease and put it on the o-rings then everything slides in and seals up perfectly.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:19 AM
mochman
Pro

sil-glyde it's actually a brake grease but I use it on all seals and o-rings this stuff rules.

Quick Reply: injector/fuel rail trouble