Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Spec Push Clutch - Need Pedal Stop? Yes. Yes you do!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spec Push Clutch - Need Pedal Stop? Yes. Yes you do!

Had to pull off the bell housing tonight after over extending the piston. This is on a Spec mini-twin. I've read some conflicting stories on if the clutch stop is needed. On an 86 Turbo, it definitely is.

I didn't need it at first as the firewall brace I installed 'lowered' the clutch pedal. I finally got around to adjusting it back to the correct position tonight. Set back to stock length of 147mm, giving the 3mm or so play at the pedal, this gives enough through to the slave cylinder to pop out the ring.

The buna o-ring inside got chewed up in the process and I found aluminum burs on the inside of the ring as it was forced crookedly.

Will fab a quick pedal stop out of aluminum this week and waiting for some new o-rings to arrive. Size 328, and I think 50A durometer for anyone interested.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:17 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what it like driving it around with this clutch?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:43 PM
coonabarabran
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noisy when the pedal is depressed - the twin plates rattle, but oh so much grip when engaged!

You can't really slip the clutch easily, it wants to grab, I don't recommend it for a daily drive. I have this on my 88TurboS

I do have a pedal stop on the firewall panel, it's a block of aluminum.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:21 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Im looking to go this way with my 924. Custom flywheel, what not. Just for a lighter rotating mass.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Does it make any significant noise/NVH with the clutch engaged?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Can anyone comment on the pedal stop for normal single-disc SPEC push type, versus the mini twin? Same issue? The mini twin seems like overkill for 99% of cars.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:13 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Player0
Had to pull off the bell housing tonight after over extending the piston. This is on a Spec mini-twin. I've read some conflicting stories on if the clutch stop is needed. On an 86 Turbo, it definitely is.

I didn't need it at first as the firewall brace I installed 'lowered' the clutch pedal. I finally got around to adjusting it back to the correct position tonight. Set back to stock length of 147mm, giving the 3mm or so play at the pedal, this gives enough through to the slave cylinder to pop out the ring.

The buna o-ring inside got chewed up in the process and I found aluminum burs on the inside of the ring as it was forced crookedly.

Will fab a quick pedal stop out of aluminum this week and waiting for some new o-rings to arrive. Size 328, and I think 50A durometer for anyone interested.

Did this fill your bell housing with fluid? I have the SPEC single clutch that I am just installing. Still fabbing up the stop. I wasn't too enthusiastic about a little rubber O-ring being the only thing stopping a total dam burst. I was hoping it would be a sealed diaphragm? I was also curious what would prevent the 2 machined pieces from going off kilter like yours did... so do you have to re-machine them to clean up the aluminum burs?

I'd love to see a picture of how you fabbed your pedal stop. This is another very vague piece of the information in the package.

Thx,

Jase.
Attached Images    
Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

carriage bolt and nut attached to the back of the pedal would be simple enough and "adjustable"
Old 11-16-2017, 05:35 AM
coonabarabran
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal Stop, Sachs mini Clutch

This is my pedal stop, well it was until I had it removed and have since gone to a Tilton pedal box. It was made up by the guys at Fitzgerald Racing in Melbourne, Australia

Last edited by coonabarabran; 11-16-2017 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Spec Push Clutch - Need Pedal Stop? Yes. Yes you do!