Alternative brake calipers ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:45 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Agree, something definitely not right.

130mph down to 90, 110mph down to 70 and 90mph down to 45 in three consecutive corners was more heat than they could dissipate. Melted the valve stem caps right off and if you spit on the wheel, it would sizzle right off....

T
I've got metal valve stems and caps...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:43 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Check your brake booster with an actual vacuum gauge. My brakes started getting terrible out of nowhere and I did a few basic vacuum checks... starting the car with foot on the brake, etc. Seemed fine. Actual vacuum test tool (Mityvac) revealed it was not in good health. Replaced the 34 year old booster and my brakes were awesome again. Worth at least renting the tool, I bought one outright for $35 at my local auto parts store.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:17 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The brakes are actually still powerful but they feel underpowered because of the OEM Textar pads. Been there done that, with rebuilt calipers, new braided hoses, new master cylinder and fresh fluid. They do not inspire confidence because some proper thrust is needed to get them to work, but by then, they still do work. Harder pads should give a safer feel thanks to an earlier biting point.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:43 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by odonnell
Check your brake booster with an actual vacuum gauge. My brakes started getting terrible out of nowhere and I did a few basic vacuum checks... starting the car with foot on the brake, etc. Seemed fine. Actual vacuum test tool (Mityvac) revealed it was not in good health.
Something to consider, but I'm still leaning towards stripping the front calipers. They're 26 years old with nearly 100k miles on them afterall. The rear calipers look a lot newer, so they've been replaced or refurbed in the past.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thom
The brakes are actually still powerful but they feel underpowered because of the OEM Textar pads. Been there done that, with rebuilt calipers, new braided hoses, new master cylinder and fresh fluid. They do not inspire confidence because some proper thrust is needed to get them to work, but by then, they still do work. Harder pads should give a safer feel thanks to an earlier biting point.
Maybe, but judging by the minimal wear and brake dust with the old unknown pads I thought they were perhaps too hard or overheating.

Quick Reply: Alternative brake calipers ?