Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"What worked for you?" info. on engine/suspension/ect setups proven over time

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:23 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "What worked for you?" info. on engine/suspension/ect setups proven over time

I got the idea for this thread from my thread about suspension and break setups. It seems we often hear about what people are going to use or what they have heard works well. I am curious about what setups people have been running for some time and are consistently producing their desired results. This pertains to engine, suspension/tires, brakes, ect..., that have consistently worked well in a specific area or in multiple areas. (street or track or both)

So, if you have something that has worked well for you please share. This could be a mild adjustment to your daily driver to a great full track mod. I think that with so many people experimenting with new products that information such as this could be useful to a variety of readers.

Just post the setup, how it has been used, how long, and how well it is achieving your goals.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Drilled LBE, CV delete, simplified vac hoses, 15 psi boost, APE II chips, 39 psi fuel, 1 step colder ngk plugs, magnecore wires. Runs great and pulls quite a bit harder than stock. Seems to be a good solution for people who like me who just want to up the performance a little bit and can't spend to much. Street only for now.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is set up for FUN but still be able to take the wife on a weekend trip. Bilstein sports all around, 250# front springs, car lowered 3/4" all around. Cryo rotors w/mintex pads. Good performance from engine mods in sig,,,and a new A/C compressor for the wife. The new Goodyear F1 tires are incredible. Will probably install MAF in the spring just to get a little more hp but more torque is what I want now. Running 17 psi, home brew 96 octane. Have 89 tranny in the garage to install in Jan.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:53 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys! This is starting out great!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:53 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

This thread is a great idea.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:57 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

O-Ring!

When I slapped on the big turbo/EFI/injectors into my 951, I went ahead and o-ring'd the block, and used a wide fire head gasket. It survived 10 full track days without any problems, even during tuning where I had some detonation. When the head was taken off, there was light pitting in the metal ring and nothing behind the o-ring which did it's job.

When the head went back on, there wasn't a wide fire available, so a stock headgasket was slapped on temporarily. That was 14 months ago, car's still running strong with the stock headgasket and o-rings, and the car's been beaten up quite a bit this year too.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:15 PM
a4944
Racer

Porterfield R4s brak pads did not hold up at the track but PF (Performance Friction) 97s did very well. I would recommend the PF 97 pads for DE track duty.

Mark
Old 12-10-2003, 05:13 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 12-11-2003, 05:16 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drive my car almost daily so my setup is pretty conservitive

.450lb springs front/rear.Bilstein shocks damper set to hard,poly bushings, stainless steel lines, pagid pads(new 12.7 rotors drilled on order), ate super blue racing brake fuild, quaffie lsd w/ senthetic tranny fuilds, performace syncro's, raceware copper pen(linkage came completely loose during a Motor Sports Ranch event), wf ring head gasket,o-ringed head, lindsey racing stage 2 maf, kokeln stage 2 chips, pro-m maf tuner,power perfect fuel controller,55lb siemens injectors, lindsey racing dual port 46mm wastegate,lindsey blow of valve, full 3 inch exhaust from wastegate back(no cat), rebuilt turbo(cup spec), 17 inch cup wheels w/ kumo exacta supra 712's 225 front 255 rear ( i really want so3's) lindsey vac kit, crossover kit soon to come, cockpit mbc race day's see 18-20 psi of boost, water/methanol injection system 50/50 mix, halon system, fuel cut switch, corbeau(can't spell sorry) seat w/ 4 point harness connected a pillar-b pillar bar, new bolt in roll cage soon to come, mobile 1 synthetic 15w-50, oh and the engine got a complete overhaul 15k ago(everything seal or gasket related)

umm.......i am probably missing a few things although i cant really remember everything on the car unless i pull the records(it was a pca car for the up church brothers in virgina before i got it) i am really sorry about being so specific.......but, i figured you might as well know all of my setup....as opposed to some of it.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Engine:

Electromotive Tec 3 engine management original setup by Chris White of 944enhancement.com., 83 lb injectors, Lindsey Stage 2 intercooler, Scott Gomes something or other turbo?, wide fire head gasket, knife edged crank, Kiss oil cooler, ARP rod bolts. Has run for the past 2 years at 375 rwhp without missing a beat. That is until I bought some bad gas at VIR this past November. Need to clean the injectors.

Suspension:

Big Reds front/rear with 94 3.6 turbo rotors front and 993 TT rotors rear. The rear calipers require machining.

Kokeln swaybars F/R. 900/1000 lb springs F/R Moton Club Sports F/R.

Wheels/tires 11x18 3 pc Forge Lines with 305.30.18's on all 4 corners.

And a big thank you to Dave Schardt of the Wheel Source for his help in setting it all up.

Handles great.

Alan C.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alan......damn that is a nice looking car........maybe one day i will have a track dedicated 951 myself......i love he wheels..........
Old 12-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MORE BOOST !!!

Personally, I liked my Weltmeister swaybar upgrade the most. Unbeknownst to me, the previous owner had upgraded my '86 951 with swaybars from the TurboS. Found out the hard way after buying a used set of TurboS bars off eBay only to find they were the same size as the ones on my car. Then I tried the 968 M030 bars next, but I didn't like the clumsy and large 3-way adjustment positions on the rear bar. The middle position would be too much understeer and the stiffest position would have too much oversteer. The final set-up I had with the Weltmeisters set to full-stiff in front & medium-stiff in the rear made for handling that's simply incredible. Flat as a pancake and infinitely adjustable. I find I typically make 1/8" adjustments on the rear bar, perhaps 1/4" at the most. Typicaly varies about 1/2" from track to track.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

You're sick. Take 2 tolulene tablets and call me in the morning.

Alan C.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... Found some pictures I had of 951s with various swaybars. These are general trends only since they weren't at the same corners. Here's a stock TurboS:

My car (on the right) probably looked like the TurboS when I first got it. Then with the 968 M030 bars, it looks like the picture on the right (I hate BMW at the track ).

Then with the Weltmeister bars (full-stiff in front, 1/2 in rear), we have this photo:

Notice the lean on the last BMW...

Quick Reply: "What worked for you?" info. on engine/suspension/ect setups proven over time