Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Re-birth of the 968 race car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-birth of the 968 race car

I've been racing this thing for many years, thru many iterations and a crash necessitated yet another re-do. I was finally able to get it back to the track last weekend after 11 months of cutting, sanding and crying . I wasn't sure how it was going to look when done but I think it came out well. As always, it is a continual work in progress.

Some current specs:
1994 Porsche 968 race car, 5.7 liter LS1 V8 (stock), 968 6 speed transaxle.
For ST class running an air inlet restrictor for 305 rwhp/326 tq. Ballasted to a 2998 minimum race weight w/driver.
OZ 18x11 wheels front and rear
Brooks Motorsports wing
GT-Racing fiberglass hood with TrackSpec S2000 vents
GT-Racing fiberglass rear quarter panels
Modified 997 GT3 Cup front flares
Moton Club Sport shocks
Racersedge A-Arms
Bruce Karger (95ONE) torsion bar carrier
Elephant Racing Bump steer kit
Tarret Sway bar
Big Red brakes with Cayenne rotors
996 ABS,
Tilton Pedals
lots of other stuff

Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking great Eric! When did you decide to go to the V8? Was the engine ok from the crash? Have you run the car yet?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:25 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice update program, welcome to the V8 group. Your list does not do the upgrades justice, that's a big change/modification on the body and internals.

Very tidy work.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 AM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to see you out last weekend Eric. I know you had lots of repair work to get done. Car sounds as good as it looks.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

car looks great, glad you got it up and running.

what size restrictor do you run to get 305whp ?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Looking great Eric! When did you decide to go to the V8? Was the engine ok from the crash? Have you run the car yet?
I went V8 back in 2015. That was been positive experience. The driveline wasn’t hurt in the crash, except all 4 CV joint were broke when the rear suspension was compressed. It was all chassis/body damage. Since about every panel except the driver door had damage from various incidents I took the “opportunity” to make some changes.
I got it done in time to make the last local race of the year. It worked well considering everything that has been done but there are still some issues to chase. The driver was pretty rusty too after no being on track for almost a year.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
what size restrictor do you run to get 305whp ?
48mm
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Looks Great

you need to check out one of my splitters!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

woow, super nice.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968gene
you need to check out one of my splitters!
I saw those. They look nice but are too small for my needs. Mine is currently 4.5 inches out from the end of the 968TurboS splitter that is on there too. I 've been running cheap ABS splitters since 2010 without issues.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_k
I went V8 back in 2015. That was been positive experience. The driveline wasn’t hurt in the crash, except all 4 CV joint were broke when the rear suspension was compressed. It was all chassis/body damage. Since about every panel except the driver door had damage from various incidents I took the “opportunity” to make some changes.
I got it done in time to make the last local race of the year. It worked well considering everything that has been done but there are still some issues to chase. The driver was pretty rusty too after no being on track for almost a year.
Wasn't aware you had gone to V8 so long ago Eric. With 'only' 305whp what feels faster, the V8 or your old modified Porsche motor? I think I can beat you regards 'ring rust'! Get some videos now.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

I do have them setup to similar power levels. The 951 engine "feels" faster as you can feel the power build, with the LS the power is always there. You don't feel it ramp up. You have to drive them differently.
The LS engine is also not the drama queen the 951 engine is. A lot less time and energy is spent on monitoring, maintaining & fixing the engine.

I posted a lot of videos last year, if you haven't seen those:
https://www.youtube.com/user/teamekr...sort=dd&view=0
Old 09-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric, always enjoyed following the progress of your car and happy to see your still campaigning it.

It took about 2 years to work out all the bugs on my car but like you the LS became the least of my worries. Most of my issues were the 'integration' part getting the accessories working. I would say most of the issues i had would have been solved by running a Tilton pedal box like your setup. Trying to get a clutch master cylinder working was a bugger, and the Ford Hydroboost brakes worked but had some shortcomings. The LS though... just a big dumb push rod V8 that puts out a great powerband. My car was 380whp /360ft-lbs, 3rd and 4th gear were a lot of fun .

My first 3 or 4 turns at NJMP with the LS and i was amazed how well the car handled the power.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Beautiful car, with a lot of great components. This may be a bit of an obscure request, but would you mind posting a picture of your hood pin attachments? I'd like to do exactly the same thing, using the same Aerocatch pins you have, and I have an idea of how to mount the pins, but I'd be curious to see how you did yours. Did you remove the center latch after you installed the pins? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Eric, always enjoyed following the progress of your car and happy to see your still campaigning it.

It took about 2 years to work out all the bugs on my car but like you the LS became the least of my worries. Most of my issues were the 'integration' part getting the accessories working. I would say most of the issues i had would have been solved by running a Tilton pedal box like your setup. Trying to get a clutch master cylinder working was a bugger, and the Ford Hydroboost brakes worked but had some shortcomings. The LS though... just a big dumb push rod V8 that puts out a great powerband. My car was 380whp /360ft-lbs, 3rd and 4th gear were a lot of fun .

My first 3 or 4 turns at NJMP with the LS and i was amazed how well the car handled the power.
I certainly looked at a bunch of your posts when doing the conversion. That was really helpful. I looked at few brake options but opted for something that I knew would work for sure on a race car.

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Beautiful car, with a lot of great components. This may be a bit of an obscure request, but would you mind posting a picture of your hood pin attachments? I'd like to do exactly the same thing, using the same Aerocatch pins you have, and I have an idea of how to mount the pins, but I'd be curious to see how you did yours. Did you remove the center latch after you installed the pins? Thanks.
The pins are mounted on the sheet metal at the end of the frame rail. A hole is cut on the side to get the nut and bottom washer on. The center latch was removed to make room for the intercooler which is now gone.

Here is a pic:

Quick Reply: Re-birth of the 968 race car