Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building a Stroker/wet sleeved 951S - Borg Warner EFR 6258 (Cross posted)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Sorry, I mistyped. I mean billet crank. Now corrected in post#18. I think you have a knifed crank but I would steer clear of them. Moderately lightening the stock one up to a point. A custom crank could be interesting but I just don't know what they'd produce. Note the crank going into the RP968 4ltr billet motor. No sign of knifing there.
Yeah I have a knifed crank which does not make it very user friendly when you are in the pits or getting started from a dead stop especially with a puck clutch. The RP968 photo it appears that it has been polished to a mirror shine. I wish I had his funds for research and development.

I have had the knifed version and the regular crank. For whatever reason I keep going back to the knifed version.

I am in the process now of getting ready to start a new engine build (like to have a short block on the shelf) and I am trying to decide what I want in it.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

The bearing choice and size is secondary to this - what it gets you is an extra 6-7mm of stroke. So its another way to gain displacement, for which as we know, there is no replacement

A 100mm bore with 88mm 3.0 crank makes ~2.8L.
A 100mm bore with 95mm (3.0 crank offset ground) makes 3.0L

Originally Posted by rlm328
I don't see what it gets you. Porsche is known for its bearing durability, so why go to a smaller bearing. I have been running stroked 2.7L or 3.0L+ engines for over 11 years now. I have had engine failures but never due to a bearing failure.

The 2.5L stroked to 2.7L engines just requires a change in rods for the crank end of the rod to clear the block at the crank. I have heard of people clearancing the block in order to get sufficient room for the bolts to clear. With the offset grinds you are going through some extra steps in order to save a little money on rods (?) and I do not see the benefit.

I am presently running a 3.1L Darton MID. It is set up for mid range power so the turbo is considered by many to be under powered but it is still making around 525 hp at the crank at 16 psi and about the 500 ft lbs for torque. The biggest problem I am having with this set up is trying to get rid of the heat. Over sized coolant and oil radiators, shrouded fans, etc.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Can you run 16v? Might be worth considering. Obviously there are varying builds and varying budgets but I'd say you can do it without killing the budget. Hope to have mine at the dyno v soon for reference.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:11 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Can you run 16v? Might be worth considering. Obviously there are varying builds and varying budgets but I'd say you can do it without killing the budget. Hope to have mine at the dyno v soon for reference.
Don't people typically prefer the 8v for turbo applications? Id have to get a 16v head and go through it. I already have a few 8v heads here... plus double the aftermarket cam cost oyyy... ha
No idea what to do for cam as is.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have plenty of cranks if you are in need. Mine are the best you can buy from Armando at CCR, everything complete, offset ground, increased journal radius to full 1/8”, knife edged, perpendicular drilled, cleaned and capped, tear dropped, micropolished, nitrided, runout after complete less than 0.0001”, custom Calico dry film coated ACL chamfered race bearings, custom machined for these journals. I have both 3.0L and 2.5L offset grinds. They are not for the faint of wallet though. Cheaper to buy your Billet crank. The good news mine are ready to ship.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
IThey are not for the faint of wallet though.

seeing the numbers for some of the stuff you've acquired over the years gives me heart attacks...
Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
The bearing choice and size is secondary to this - what it gets you is an extra 6-7mm of stroke. So its another way to gain displacement, for which as we know, there is no replacement

A 100mm bore with 88mm 3.0 crank makes ~2.8L.
A 100mm bore with 95mm (3.0 crank offset ground) makes 3.0L
I am going to get out of this discussion as the OP is doing a Darton MID to 106 mm, along with your offset grind is equivalent to a 3.35L. Heat will be the death of that engine.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I have plenty of cranks if you are in need. Mine are the best you can buy from Armando at CCR, everything complete, offset ground, increased journal radius to full 1/8”, knife edged, perpendicular drilled, cleaned and capped, tear dropped, micropolished, nitrided, runout after complete less than 0.0001”, custom Calico dry film coated ACL chamfered race bearings, custom machined for these journals. I have both 3.0L and 2.5L offset grinds. They are not for the faint of wallet though. Cheaper to buy your Billet crank. The good news mine are ready to ship.
Do you have any... budget friendly? Offset and perp drilled, without all the other $$$$$? Lol
Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlm328
I am going to get out of this discussion as the OP is doing a Darton MID to 106 mm, along with your offset grind is equivalent to a 3.35L. Heat will be the death of that engine.
My luck initially is that autocross and Hillclimb runs are short, so I can work on that issue. Longest Hillclimb I do is sub 3 minutes.
So I'll monitor that appropriately.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:35 AM
PDX-944
Instructor

I just got off the phone with Chris White at 944 Enhancement.
First things first - I misread and have been planning a 106 bore, but I was going to use my 2.5 block, which can only be sleeved up to 104mm.

SO unless I find a decent 3liter block soon, ill end up with a 3.2

He also has done many of these types of builds and he is not concerned about heating any more than previously. Im not looking for high dyno numbers/high boost. Yes I will have to monitor it, but again he isn't overly concerned about the issue.

Yes, he can also do whatever I need with the pistons and deck height to get everything where I need it, so that is good news.

I guess once I figure out the block issue, I can start pulling triggers.

I also asked him about head work - and he said the factory head arrangement, when cleaned up, will not be bad. He said either go big or don't do much to it. So for now I think ill stay on the low end of that, and get the bottom end dialed in and built and running, and then maybe when my credit cards get paid down I can think about future upgrades to head and cam.

Gotta say, Chris was very helpful. Also, Joe from Molex regarding the crank was extremely helpful and willing to discuss things. So far I am quite thankful to the people helping guide me through this. Same with the people here on the forums!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:22 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

question of the hour.... rod and bearing choice.

so far it sounds like 4G63 (6 bolt) rods are the way to go, but there are still a few options... I need 150mm, these are actually just a hair under which is even better:

http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?op...d=33&Itemid=40

but which ones?
and what about bearings? I assume I use the 4G63 bearings.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:56 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Eagle Rods HAVE to be CRS5900MC3D. It has to be that exact part number. All of the other Eagle 4G63 are narrower on the big end than the MC3D.

Rod bearings are ACL 4B1146H. Measure the journal/rod first to choose the size....there are over and under size for that part number. Hopefully it will be the standard size with the work done to the crank.

Originally Posted by PDX-944
question of the hour.... rod and bearing choice.

so far it sounds like 4G63 (6 bolt) rods are the way to go, but there are still a few options... I need 150mm, these are actually just a hair under which is even better:

http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?op...d=33&Itemid=40

but which ones?
and what about bearings? I assume I use the 4G63 bearings.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:04 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Eagle Rods HAVE to be CRS5900MC3D. It has to be that exact part number. All of the other Eagle 4G63 are narrower on the big end than the MC3D.

Rod bearings are ACL 4B1146H. Measure the journal/rod first to choose the size....there are over and under size for that part number. Hopefully it will be the standard size with the work done to the crank.
well, I give them the spec to grind the crank to, so it should come out okay! but ill hold off on ordering until its confirmed.

and this is exactly what I wanted, a definite answer. makes me feel more confident that I wont just end up with a box of paperweights!

thank you
Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

In case you had not read Shawn's web site page

http://www.refresh951.com/StrokerDIY.htm
Old 10-04-2017, 07:15 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by gruhsy
In case you had not read Shawn's web site page

http://www.refresh951.com/StrokerDIY.htm
I get sent that link a few times a day... haha. unfortunately he is not specific about very much so it only helps generally

edit, apparently I have looked there a bunch of times and missed the part numbers down lower... oops

Quick Reply: Building a Stroker/wet sleeved 951S - Borg Warner EFR 6258 (Cross posted)