Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

For anyone considering a 944 Turbo "the experience"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 AM
hroller328
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For anyone considering a 944 Turbo "the experience"

I've had such great fun tonight, I had to share.

Anyone reading this should consider having some fun with one. While it's not the fastest car around, it sure is pure. I drive my 944 Turbo about once/month, and this is my night documented below..

After being warmed up:

- In a straight line, 1st gear full throttle @ 3000rpm
- Backend squats, headlights now pointing upwards toward the trees
- Around 5000 rpm, the rears start spinning (with an AOR LSD)
- Clutch/shift into 2nd, flame out the back
- Full throttle in 2nd gear
- Boost to 18 psi, the rear squatting, pulling hard, "HOLY S"!

Wow that gear was over fast. Into 3rd and cruising down.

I'm driven several C7 Corvettes and 2016+ Camaro SS's, which have much more horsepower, are faster and would whip my 944 Turbo around a road-course, but the thrill of the 944 Turbo is such an experience. You just don't get it in the newer cars.

If you have the pleasure to drive one, encouragement toward a lightly modded one, I've recommend it.

Chris
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice car. '88 or '89?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by hroller328

Anyone reading this should consider having some fun with one. While it's not the fastest car around, it sure is pure. I drive my 944 Turbo about once/month, and this is my night documented below..

After being warmed up:

I'm driven several C7 Corvettes and 2016+ Camaro SS's, which have much more horsepower, are faster and would whip my 944 Turbo around a road-course, but the thrill of the 944 Turbo is such an experience. You just don't get it in the newer cars.

If you have the pleasure to drive one, encouragement toward a lightly modded one, I've recommend it.

Chris
Sucha great description to these cars😊 I can only agree!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:32 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hroller328

After being warmed up:

Chris
love it, I agree, you mention 18 psi, I check my boost gauge 1 bar, 2 bar... my understanding is 1 bar is 1 atmospheric, 14 psi and 2 bar is 28 psi? anyway I've let friends of mine drive the car and when they hit 2 bar they freak! I tell them from the passenger seat keep it at 2 bar!
my car is not modded except for a chip, it's an "89
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grgallo
love it, I agree, you mention 18 psi, I check my boost gauge 1 bar, 2 bar... my understanding is 1 bar is 1 atmospheric, 14 psi and 2 bar is 28 psi?
1 bar is atmospheric pressure, 2 bar on the dash gauge is 14psi of boost. Anything below 1 bar indicates negative pressure.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a Nile Green beast. I can burn the tires off the rims with the power. Then we have a cornering that is amazing. Best fun car to ever own at affordable prices and easy to maintain.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Mach 5
Racer

For me, the "experience" has been like dealing with a split personality.
Sometimes it's pure ecstasy, as the OP describes above. But other times it's like waking up next to Rosie O'Donnell...unpleasant, frustrating, even scary. But I keep coming back for more. So I guess the prospect of a romp with Pamela Anderson compensates for the risk of waking up with Rosie now and then
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 PM
hroller328
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mach 5
For me, the "experience" has been like dealing with a split personality.
Sometimes it's pure ecstasy, as the OP describes above. But other times it's like waking up next to Rosie O'Donnell...unpleasant, frustrating, even scary. But I keep coming back for more. So I guess the prospect of a romp with Pamela Anderson compensates for the risk of waking up with Rosie now and then
LOL! So true! The PO of mine used to daily drive it around the years 1996-2000 and yep, it was a love/hate relationship.

As long as I have my reliable daily, I love taking the 951 out on these cool Texas nights.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:33 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The boost gauge reads "absolute" pressure, meaning 1 bar absolute is approximately 0 bar gauge pressure and 2 bar absolute is actually about 1bar gauge or about 14.7 psig.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:13 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I couldn't agree more! This car is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on! And I've owned a number of V8 and V6 sports cars that boast much higher HP numbers. I just can't get over it. I have that "where have you been all my life" feeling all the time with my 951!

I .. Just .. Love .. Driving .. This .. Car! "The Experience" indeed!

When that turbo kicks in...... it's almost NWS!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My daily driver is an Alpina B7, specially ordered with 2wd, short wheelbase, and the - also specially ordered - ability to turn off the nannies.
Compared to my street '86 951 it handles better, is tons faster (a torque rich 600HP), and has track quality brakes. Plus, it is ridiculously luxurious and supremely comfortable with every imaginable feature. And it will go 200 mph if needed.
But.....the 951 is more... "fun". You have to know how to drive to get the best from the quirky engine, and there's great satisfaction in doing that.
Note that I am not comparing the Alpina to my '89 951 race car as it isn't the slightest bit streetable despite the license plate. Apples to oranges....
Old 09-19-2017, 01:22 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
But.....the 951 is more... "fun". You have to know how to drive to get the best from the quirky engine, and there's great satisfaction in doing that.
Note that I am not comparing the Alpina to my '89 951 race car as it isn't the slightest bit streetable despite the license plate. Apples to oranges....
Sounds a bit like my situation. My 951 is street legal but not street comfortable.

I took my 997S cab for a few laps last weekend. I'm sorry, but 380 hp > 250 hp.
That said, the cab is stock form and understeered quite a bit. Was fun horsing it around corners. It's fast, but agreed, my 951 is more engaging...

I won't comment about hot laps in electric mode in my daily driver hybrid. Not exciting, but I did feel environmentally more friendly. ;-)

Quick Reply: For anyone considering a 944 Turbo "the experience"