Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo has started... whistling....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:58 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Turbo has started... whistling....

So, a couple of week ago I was pulling on the highway by my house and I thought my door had come open or my window had come down. I heard a sound like what you hear when you open your door at 70 mph. After some testing I finally figured out it was my turbo. It's now making a VERY LOUD air rushing/whistling sound.

This is my first Turbo, but I understand how it all works in theory. I'm also been getting louder exhaust sound, so I think I have an exhaust leak as well. I would think a "rushing air/whistling" sound would be between the Turbo and the intake right? Or could you get a sound like this on the exhaust side?

Cursory inspection didn't show any loose hoses or holes. I'm going to dive into it this week and was just looking for any pointers or ideas of where to be looking so I don't waste a bunch of time chasing my tail.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pull the j-boot/maf hose off the compressor housing and inspect the blades, as well as shaft play. My money is on either chewed up blades in the compressor housing, or the exhaust post-turbo is coming undone.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

After some poking around I'm about 75% sure it's all an exhaust leak. I hope to be addressing it sometime in the next week. I'll post up once I find out more.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:38 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure I found my problem. I'm doing a rally tomorrow with my local PCA so I was doing an oil change and was going to try and figure out a way to secure my heat shields. I've got crazy rattles.

Once I get under there, I notice right away I've got a flange loose. Upon investigating turns out I have two just loose with all the bolts missing. (Side note, I bet those are a large part of my rattles) It would appear I've had the 3 piece crossover conversion?? The little short pipe that goes from the wastegate to the crossover had two flanges that I can tell go on the crossover side joint. Took me a long time looking at Google pictures to figure out how that's all supposed to work, mainly because the gasket the flanges are supposed to be holding is totally gone on mine. So I couldn't figure out how they were supposed to work.

Anyway, I'm betting this will solve my loud exhaust, my whistling turbo, and a lot of my rattles. I've got the crossover side gasket and the wastegate side crush ring on order. I'll post back once I have them in on my results.

Also noticed the rest of my exhaust going off twords the tail pipe is kinda loose and wobbly. So I'll be addressing that as well.

Boy, these things really shake stuff loose like crazy! PO did the mounts just a few years ago. He said it made a huge difference. I'm thinking the old ones may have been bad for a long time and I'm now dealing with years of bad vibrations. I can't imagine how bad it must have been considering how much it still shakes with the new mounts! LOL

Our 944s really like to shake, rattle, and roll!!

Oh, by the way, anyone know what bolts that flange is supposed to have?

Quick Reply: Turbo has started... whistling....