Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Passenger side axle assembly removal, with AOR (oil cooler) transmission. How?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:20 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Passenger side axle assembly removal, with AOR (oil cooler) transmission. How?!?

Replacing the axle assemblies on an '89 Turbo with AOR transmission (external oil cooler line present).

How on earth does one remove the passenger side axle assembly? I've unbolted all 12 of the 8mm triple square bolts from each end of the shaft, and the whole assembly is sitting there, loose. But I can't figure out how to maneuver it out of the car!

Driver's side was no problem at all...

On the passenger side, the transmission oil cooler line prevents me from lowering the axle shaft and gaining enough clearance to pull the other end free, since it's recessed into the wheel hub. I can't move the transmission side of the axle up, either, because it hits the (new) fuel filter.

Am I missing something? How does one wiggle this little thing out? Is removing the oil cooler line required?

Last edited by ried; 09-02-2017 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Borrowed a picture from Pelican.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:45 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a tight fit but you should be able to stick the inboard end right up next to the fuel filter and on top of the cooler loops. That gives just enough clearance on the outboard end to pull it out of the wheel hub and then maneuver the whole shaft down and out. That's how it worked for me anyway. Installation is the opposite.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I take the Fuel Filer Clamp off so it can move out of the way,(Fuel lines still attached) get all the bolts out separate from the trans side shove the shaft up and forward up into the car. You can then pull it sideways and separate from the hub side, (get it out of that hole) Once you clear the hole you can wiggle it down and out..

To Quote Ed China "I can be a little fiddley"
Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep. The above posts nailed it.
Post a plastic bag over the grease in the joint so you don't get it full of grit when you bump it against the underside of the body. Maneuver the trans side joint as high up as you can and it should come out
Old 09-02-2017, 09:52 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had to do this, but now I have an oil cooler installed....would jacking up the wheel assembly a few inches create more space?
Old 09-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

What they said. Also, remember that the joints themselves move in all directions and in/out a little. You usually buy a little extra wiggle room by compressing them as far in as they'll go.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:28 PM
ried
Racer

Thanks guys! Greatly appreciated as always. Giving it a shot now.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM
ried
Racer

Worked perfectly. Thanks gents! Both sides are done and she accelerates smooth as silk again.

Quick Reply: Passenger side axle assembly removal, with AOR (oil cooler) transmission. How?!?