Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Headers Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headers Installation

Anyone have a DYI link? I know I saw something but can't find. Questions are 1. Do you have to remove old manifold studs in order to remove old manifolds and install new headers and do they come out and go in from the top down?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a pain in the rear. It's the easiest if the studs are removed and the cam tower is removed. But that's more work and $. And installing the studs would be a pain at that point with the new headers needing to line up before installing them. You can also raise the engine with a jack after disconnecting the passenger engine mount from he block, but use a piece of wood to distribute the weight on the oil pan and remove your speed and reference sensors (mark there height first) or you may crush them.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:26 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

You can do it with studs in place. Get yourself a pry bar to help get them off.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I once got them out after removing just 2 or 3 studs, but it was such a pain I don't even try anymore. I just pull them all out now -- much easier. That said, my studs are fairly fresh and new. Pulling out old studs does create the risk snapping them -- so use penetrating oil and works the studs out with little back and forth motions, rather than putting 200 ft lbs of stud-snapping torque on them all at once. Can't tell if the pry bar suggestion was a joke, but if you need to get them out without removing the studs, you can unbolt the motor mount on that side and jack the motor up enough to get the headers off the studs and out of the car. I'd do that before prying on them, but that's just me.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Search this forum for Saturn Studs. They're studs with Allen heads, for ease of installation and removal. Or get the hardware kit on 944online.com, same but stainless steel. Double nut the stock studs to remove. Use lots of PB blast and or heat.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:06 AM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see where the pulling the engine mount might work... but i did not try it.

i used PB blaster, double nuts to remove studs and then got the headers off. I did not remove cam cover, but I can see how that would help.

i also removed the power steering reservoir from the bracket and the oil filter, but they were not necessary - just gave me more room to work.

the 2/3 pair lift right out the top once the studs are removed. To get the 1/4 pair out, i pushed the cylinder 1 runner down until it was almost vertical to the original orientation, the pulled the unit out the top near the back of the motor.

i think i had to remove that heater hose that runs alongside the head as well. Not just pull the bolts that mount it to the head - actually pull the hardpipe and lay it aside for room.

Last edited by bumflick; 08-30-2017 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quick Reply: Headers Installation