Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   951 vs S4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/101718-951-vs-s4.html)

iborroel 12-03-2003 03:13 PM

Yeah the S4 with the Hooter's girl is nice. It looks like one that used to be owned by a guy named Zerin down in Texas. I know he sold it a while ago. The kit mentioned above probably does cost that much but without the install. The whole front end needs to come off of these cars to drop the engine to get to the turbo's. Maybe has someone has done it with the engine still in there but from what I saw on my S4 avant I don't see how it would be possible.

howie 12-03-2003 05:46 PM

I have one of each. 951 great track car, tiresome day in and day out. s4 great day in and day out car, not build for track duty. Warps rotors, blows turbos and eats transmissions.

TurboTommy 12-05-2003 09:38 AM

Hooters girls do everything for self recognition, so that doesn't count. A well cared for 951 has much more chick magnetism; timeless sexiness!
I think the audi is also a bit heavier.

kasturbo 12-05-2003 10:09 AM

Am I the only one hear that would never let anyone sit on there car, no matter what they looked like??

My buddy has an A4, and he's had tranny problems from day one. He's had two new boxes under waranty and one rebuild out of waranty. But then again, that's not an S4.

3 Turbos 12-05-2003 01:43 PM

Not only are S4's faster:D

But they are stronger built too! I mean if you close the hood wrong on a 951 instead of letting it drop from a 1 foot level, you''ll dent it.:D :roflmao:

But, ah she can sit on my ah hood anyday:cheers:

Hope my wife doesn't see this:roflmao:

lart951 12-05-2003 02:34 PM

quoted by 3turbos

Not only are S4's faster
Steve do you really feel the S4 faster than your 951?
Can you elaborate a little bit on that please. I was under the impression that from a standing point the S4 is faster, but on a rolling start the 951 would have the advantage.

Thanks

Luis

3 Turbos 12-05-2003 04:32 PM

Steve do you really feel the S4 faster than your 951?
Can you elaborate a little bit on that please. I was under the impression that from a standing point the S4 is faster, but on a rolling start the 951 would have the advantage.

Luis,

Down low it seem faster because of the big fat torque curve (S4 366 ft lbs at about 2000 rpm and my 951 261 ft lbs at 5400 rpm's). My 951 is consider very lightly modded in the engine department and my S4 is also lightly modded even less.

The S4 although heavier, never makes a mistake - you simply mash the throttle - and in "ANY" type of weather.

The 951 although lighter, can have driver errors if you are in the wrong gear - and if you run in any but absolute perfect conditions like damp road - well then I'd give the edge to the S4.

I mean I can change CD's and/or volume level of the music when I floor it in the S4 - I can't do that in my 951.:D

All in all, I say they are close in acceleration, but it no comparison when used as a daily driver - when I want to drive a stick and don't mind my clothes sometimes smelling like burnt oil, then I drive the 951.

If I have to drive in heavy traffic - the S4 is quick enough, fun enough, and I don't smell like burnt oil.:cheers:

toddk911 12-05-2003 06:24 PM

"S4 366 ft lbs " Lightly modified????? What is stock hp/tq on S4???

I have raced with an S4 before (and a TT) and it was close, but I was faster, and that was with old wastegate and about 11-12 psi. Now, I would have walked away from him. Plus I don;t know if his was stock or not.

I smoked the TT. :)

3 Turbos 12-05-2003 07:39 PM

toddk911,

"S4 366 ft lbs " Lightly modified????? What is stock hp/tq on S4???

I have raced with an S4 before (and a TT) and it was close, but I was faster, and that was with old wastegate and about 11-12 psi. Now, I would have walked away from him. Plus I don;t know if his was stock or not.

Stock S4 is 250hp and 258 ft lbs

simple chip for the engine - now 307hp and 366 ft lbs - but it doesn't come all in until about 2500 rpm's before 258 ft lbs came all in by 1850 rpm's

another chip I installed is to quicken the auto transimissions shifts by .5 sec

plus the chip takes away all limiters - top end is about 170 mph +/- 1 or 2 mph

IMHO, I think they are very nice general purpose all around weather cars. I've owned Quattros since 1988.

951porsche 12-06-2003 12:08 AM

I have both an s4 and 951 as well....

The 951 has k27/6, custom programming, and a bunch of other stuff...
Too lazy to put it on the dyno, I really should since I have access to one.

The S4 is Sportec stage 3, full rs4 gear and makes about 440hp.

I've run the S4 against 993TT's and pulled on them, and with a 996TT on the highway it was a pretty equal fight, although the botttom end tq of the 996TT was better, but after both cars were on boost we seemed pretty even.. So that should give you an idea of what a properly modd'ed s4 can do.

The s4 is the best compromise car for me. It has modern luxury, is practical with its AWD and 4 doors, and somewhat sporty. I had a deposit on a 993TT but bailed on it at the last minute with cold feet about dropping that much in one car. The S4 saved me 20k from that, is a sleeper I can take anywhere, and is faster on the street. All in all i'm happy with it, and its not 18 years old like my porsche. or 30 like my other porsche!
I have had an andial stroker kit sitting around here for the last 3 years that I need to put into the 951, then it'll be the faster car again, which is how it should be! But for me the car I drive the most is the car i'd like to get the most enjoyment out of. For now that'll be my audi aka daily driver aka winter beater! hehe

Pics of the S4 can be seen at my gallery. I need to take new ones as I've added a pair of 993 turbo S big yellows to slow the pig down.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/951porsche

3 Turbos 12-06-2003 01:55 AM

Plus, if you have a "Silver" S4, then they are faster than other S4's:D :D :cheers:

toddk911 12-06-2003 10:54 AM

"Stock S4 is 250hp and 258 ft lbs"

I guess the one I raced with was stock.

Are the Audi TT's twin turbo??? or they just call it a TT??

3 Turbos 12-06-2003 01:43 PM

toddk911,

"Stock S4 is 250hp and 258 ft lbs"

I guess the one I raced with was stock.

Are the Audi TT's twin turbo??? or they just call it a TT??

I can't quite remember, but the TT comes in 3 flavors and are all single turbo 4 cylinders - depending on the year and if it was a Quattro or not - but they are all called the TT

I think when the TT "Quattro" came out, not only did they increase the power to 225hp - but they gave it dual exhaust and also put a small Quattro logo on the right rear of the car - nice car but reminds of looking out of a tank when I was in the service - tiny slotted windows! :rolleyes:

So it could have been 160hp - 180hp single exhaust - or the 2002/2003? version with 225hp with dual exhaust and Quattro awd added

Thats what turned me off on them (my wife wanted one) - they didn't have very much hp and for the 1st year and maybe the 2nd year, and they were not Quattro's.

If it is an Audi I'm gonna buy, then it has to have Quattro! :D

Mledbetter 12-07-2003 12:30 AM

Re: 951 vs S4

I just sold my '87 951 to Scott. To be fair, the '87 was never tuned to it's full potential, but I had a Guru Stage II map kit, test pipe, 12-14psi, and some other small misc.

I also have a '00 S4.

Stock for stock, the S4 would beat a 951 almost all the time. The only advantage the 951 might have is a 100mph+ run on the freeway and even then it would be close.

I put a Giac chip in the S4 and it adds a ton of performance.

Not my car, but here are some dyno numbers:

Stock Dyno
Giac X

I'm not sure saying the stock K03's are prone to failure is fair. There are quit a few people running around with 80k+ of chipped boost. The entire car supports close to 400 flywheel hp which can be achieved with nothing more than a chip, intake, and full exhaust.

The S4 is a MUCH better daily driver than the 951.

The only con I can think of is the 951 is a much better track car, although the Audi can be pretty mean at the local autocross.

-Matt

Originally posted by lart951
I need some input , nearby there is a used S4 with very low miles. I love my 951 but maintenance and repair has become a burden after 3 blown heads and a broken ring in less than one year. I am looking for a daily driver that can give me similar power to my 951. Does anybody own a S4 and can tell me the pro's and con's of the Audi compared to the 951.

In advance thanks for your help.

Luis

Tony@GKF 12-07-2003 05:13 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the s4 require dropping the entire motor to replace the turbo's?