Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Taking engine apart for major upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 10:18 AM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking engine apart for major upgrade

I'm upgrading to a guru 364 kit as soon as it comes out. I'm just wondering what should i do to my engine once it's apart. Nothing's wrong with my engine right know, but i want to make the engine as strong as possible so it doesn't blow with all that boost.

I'm thinking a new head gasket, port and polish the head, balance the engine etc.

What else should i do? Remember my brother is a mechanic so labour is not a factor.

I want everyone's opinion on this.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 11-29-2003, 01:11 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

It all depends what your goal is! Some day I want to pull mine apart because I have some minor leaks and it has over 120,000 miles. If the cylinder walls are good the I will just get the crank lightened cross drilled and then just basically all new bearings and seals as I put it back together. Oh yeah and of course new rings and head work. I hope my clutch holds out until I have a house with a garage to do this so I can go with a lightened flywheel and and all the other trick options with a new clutch and not have to do things more then once.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:07 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Did I miss something? I thought that the Guru "364 kit" was pretty much a dead horse, and haven't heard anything about it for a while.

Regards,
Old 11-29-2003, 03:11 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

If you are going to have your engine apart then do it right with a full rebuild. All seals/gaskets, rod bearing, main bearings, piston rings, wrist pins, water pump, oil cooler, oil pump, and balance shaft beaings. From start to finish it took me 2 weeks. With the help of your brother it may go quicker.

Christian

Quick Reply: Taking engine apart for major upgrade