Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil squirter install in 2.5 block

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil squirter install in 2.5 block

Did anybody installed oil squirters in a 2.5L engine block? I wold like to find out where to drill the holes for the squirters. I made a sketch how of how I think they should be installed but I'm not sure if it's corect. If there is anyone who know what is the correct way to install the and would like to share I would really apreciate.
Attached Images     
Old 08-14-2017, 02:32 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Same here, plan to install oil squirters.

Your location seems to be ok, you plan to drill and tap the holes yourself?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 AM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Same here, plan to install oil squirters.

Your location seems to be ok, you plan to drill and tap the holes yourself?
No. The machine shop will do it, but since I can not find anyone who has experience here with this engines I need to make a sketch for the machine shop with what I want. The factors I have taken into consideration when I did this sketch was the piston shape ( which is mahle powerpak) and engine block ( I tried to avoid creating zones with thin material on squirt bore exit area to prevent weakening the block).
Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

How modified is your motor and what are your intentions? Are they totally necessary?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
How modified is your motor and what are your intentions? Are they totally necessary?
Wondering, this feature is usually added when trying to lighten a piston for performance because the crown would be thinner, thus more heat.
The 968 pistons are notoriously lighter (had factory squirters), especially the Mahle at 490 grams compared to the 944T at 520. My stock KS 944S pistons at 4mm smaller bore are 540 grams, no piston cooling squirter.
It makes sense that the factory lighter piston probably has a thinner crown and may have needed the oil squirters.
It's definitely not a movement of the ring closer to combustion because all 944 family top rings are pretty low.

Personally, I wouldn't tax the oil system any more than it is if I didn't have to.

If I knew the minimum requirement of the balance shafts at XX rpms, I would plug and orifice the feed to those to limit delivery waste.

The poppet could have a side benefit though, may remove aerated oil before it makes it to the rods.

If you cool the wrist pin, you are also taking heat off the piston and there are some close to free ways to do that.

An escape notch at the upper side beam of the rod would sling 360 degree, already escaping oil from the rod bearing and make it useful.
Drilling from the scraper groove to the pin would send oil directly to the pin on the down stroke.

T
Old 08-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

If you do decide that these are necessary (and I don't believe they are unless its a full on track engine) then make sure that the head is located inside the oil groove in the block. The head has a flange on it so the hole is not super critical in diameter, the bearing shell will trap the oil squirter in place if it moves. With the right diameter drill bit you could do this with a hand drill (I use a milling machine - but hey, I'm like that!)
Don't fret about the aim - the piton is a moving target and the oil is spraying everywhere.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:17 PM
91K-Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, All , why not just drill into the main bearing housings, a .5mm hole on an angle . Do not need to make anything. Main bearings are grooved so just need to "hit" the groove. Thats what mantis does when needed.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

The engine will not suffer heavy modifications. Since I'am rebuilding the engine I thought that the oil squirters will be a good upgrade ( to do while I'am in there) and also I think that a windage port will also be a good thing to do but I don't know how mutch this will weaken the 2.5 engine block. With this build I'am interested most in reliability and longevity first. I will use the car both on street and for some track days.This rebuild started as a "refresh" but after some examination I ended up keeping only the cylinder head and the oil pan from the old engine.
I don't know if they are totally necessary, probably not, after all I know there are track cars without this mods and run fine, but since they cost mostly some machine work and they were also adopted as upgrades by the factory I thought "why not?".
Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Wondering, this feature is usually added when trying to lighten a piston for performance because the crown would be thinner, thus more heat.
The 968 pistons are notoriously lighter (had factory squirters), especially the Mahle at 490 grams compared to the 944T at 520. My stock KS 944S pistons at 4mm smaller bore are 540 grams, no piston cooling squirter.

T
The new Mahle piston has the crown 1mm thiner than the original KS piston. It's also thiner than the Mahle S2 piston.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I would say as a generalisation more cooling is better...but in your case I wouldn't bother. We had issues on a past motor with oil pressure loss. We're 95%+ sure it was due to too much oil going through the squirters being retro fitted.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by alex_cristocea
The new Mahle piston has the crown 1mm thiner than the original KS piston. It's also thiner than the Mahle S2 piston.
That's the new Powerpak piston...?

Are those cast or forged..?

T
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM
951and944S
Race Car

I would say as a generalisation more cooling is better...but in your case I wouldn't bother. We had issues on a past motor with oil pressure loss. We're 95%+ sure it was due to too much oil going through the squirters being retro fitted.
Yep, as I mentioned above, that'd be my fear of using them.

These engines definitely survive hard track duty without them.

Most of my focus is on how I can improve and gain some headroom with oiling, not ways to bleed some of it off....

Restricting supply to balance shafts and using the #3 main to get additional supply to the #2 & #3 rods seems viable on paper.

T
Old 08-19-2017, 02:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Yep, as I mentioned above, that'd be my fear of using them.

These engines definitely survive hard track duty without them.

Most of my focus is on how I can improve and gain some headroom with oiling, not ways to bleed some of it off....

Restricting supply to balance shafts and using the #3 main to get additional supply to the #2 & #3 rods seems viable on paper.

T
Agree, yet it's interesting that they were standard in the 968 blocks so the factory definitely deemed them appropriate.

Quick Reply: Oil squirter install in 2.5 block