Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OBX Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default OBX Headers

Looking for input good/bad. I need to replace my stock manifold gaskets and considering headers. Is the price of the OBX brand to good to be true? Also, Ebay listings show fitment for 88-91. My car is a 87 Turbo and looks to be identical to my 88 Turbo I recently traded. I.E. 2 piece crossover pipe, etc.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I found in life you get what you pay for and sometimes not even that. I have heard they work, I have also heard they warp. I would think they would work for a stock setup, at least for a while. If you want a higher HP engine then I recommended a header from one of the following: Billy Boat,Speed Force Racing,Lindsey racing.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

10% OFF for listers , if you follow my threads these are 30k miles headers I have auto check results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-951-...item3aeab82c29

Will last more than obdx for sure, there is a thread here where some listers tested the headers and cracked shortly

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ml#post9882526

Originally Posted by chrenan
My OBX headers are done. I only used the headers, not the down pipe or waste gate tie in that comes with the kit. This is after 2 seasons, approximately 30 events, and the street driving to-and-from, and this is the result, leak on one exit:

Major cracking along the line of welds on another exit:

I knew about the leak, I could here when it happened at the 2nd last event of the season. The cracked welds were news to me.

Maybe the OBX headers would last better for street use, who knows.

Any thoughts on what I should do next? $300 for another 2 seasons, or Lindsey Racing for more money and hopefully more time?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:32 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Unless your racing the car, Tracking the allot and running higher than normal boost, Id leave the headers alone.. The issue with the factory headers is the angle that no 4 hits no 1, doesn't "Flow" very well and compounds the well known cyl4 headgasket issue due to high temps and pressure.. But if its just a street car not an issue..
It would be interesting to see dyno results of all the different headers... I would bet factory to aftermarket is less than 10hp different..

The above pictures show an Undercut on the weld indicating that there is little to no filler rod used in the weld making it weaker, Add to the fact that stainless and alu have different expansion rates and that's why it cracked. There is a reason for the 944 having the "updated" headers with the expansion joint .
Old 07-20-2017, 03:07 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a bunch of threads on OBX headers - consensus seemed to be that you get what you pay for, and that you need to spend time cleaning the slag from inside. Re-welding probably necessary.

I looked into all header options a few months ago, including having the originals repaired.

The Porsche headers are alloy 625 (Inconel). Some people claim success welding these, but to do it right so it will last is technically challenging (and $$$).

304SS is not really suitable for Turbo header application. Inconel or 321 stainless is what you want for high exhaust temperatures. 304 welds will crack due to 'chromium precipitation'.

I ended up going with the SpeedForceRacing Stage 1 header with 321 SS option. Very happy with the quality and fit. Took longer than expected to arrive though ~ 2 months.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:14 PM
KVDR
Pro

Lart - Did you pressure test those headers? I bought a set off eBay from someone else and they claimed leak free and low miles. They looked great on the outside, but leaked badly once tested.

Now I have two sets of Turbo headers. This winter I will look into getting these repaired properly.

Originally Posted by lart951
10% OFF for listers , if you follow my threads these are 30k miles headers I have auto check results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-951-...item3aeab82c29
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you make those adapters yourself? Looks like a good idea.

Originally Posted by KVDR
Lart - Did you pressure test those headers? I bought a set off eBay from someone else and they claimed leak free and low miles. They looked great on the outside, but leaked badly once tested.

Now I have two sets of Turbo headers. This winter I will look into getting these repaired properly.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:50 PM
KVDR
Pro

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Did you make those adapters yourself? Looks like a good idea.
Yeah, I had them laser cut from 1/4" carbon steel. Just need to drill a center hole, but you could add one into the design.

Here's links to my AutoDesk Fusion 360 designs:
http://a360.co/2ueWlEJ
http://a360.co/2tLd8vL

Dimensions in mm.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I give you money back guarantee and I even pay for return shipping if these headers leak .00000000001 % is a 30k miles car the lower flanges are still shinny and free of soot
Old 07-20-2017, 05:20 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice thanks

Yeah, I had them laser cut from 1/4" carbon steel. Just need to drill a center hole, but you could add one into the design.

Here's links to my AutoDesk Fusion 360 designs:
http://a360.co/2ueWlEJ
http://a360.co/2tLd8vL

Dimensions in mm.

Quick Reply: OBX Headers