944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Connecting a rebuilt rack to the universal joint

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Roka
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Connecting a rebuilt rack to the universal joint

I have spent the last 3 days on my back trying co connect my rebuilt steering rack to the universal steering joint without success.
Clark's states
"With the steering column universal joint clamp positioned over the steering gear shaft, push the rack assembly up into position. The universal clamp will now slide down the steering gear shaft where it belongs."
For the life of me I can't get the clamp to even begin to "slide" over the rack gear; it looks like it is just not wide enough. I've cleaned the clamp, tried to put a pry bar in the slot but to no avail. Every angle I try to attack it results in frustration.

What is the secret? is there a trick to expanding the clamp?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Leave the clamping bolt out, and try wedging a screwdriver blade into the slot to open the clamp a bit. Use never seize on the splines. A hammer may have to be employed to help it onto the splines. Hope this helps a bit. Tiger 03447
Old 09-21-2016, 10:16 AM
AZ520
Instructor

I just got done fighting the same issue, the rack I took out the spline slid on very smooth and easily. The rebuilt rack look like the top had mushroomed a little and was next to impossible to get on. I pulled it out and put in on the bench, dremel here and there. I took out the universal shaft from the car and placed it on the rack loosely without the bolt. Take the rack and install it back into the car leaving the mount bolts very loose and you will have enough room to side it back onto the steering column, then put both bolts in an tighten everything up, pain in the ***!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Roka
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZ520
I just got done fighting the same issue, the rack I took out the spline slid on very smooth and easily. The rebuilt rack look like the top had mushroomed a little and was next to impossible to get on. I pulled it out and put in on the bench, dremel here and there. I took out the universal shaft from the car and placed it on the rack loosely without the bolt. Take the rack and install it back into the car leaving the mount bolts very loose and you will have enough room to side it back onto the steering column, then put both bolts in an tighten everything up, pain in the ***!
I have to concur on the PITA. This is a messy job to begin with with all the ATF and grit from the cross member falling on your face, this just adds to the pain.

You mentioned taking out the universal shaft out of the car - how did you do that? looking at the upper connection of the shaft it looks like it is well hidden under the brake booster.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:47 PM
AZ520
Instructor

You will need a long extension and wrench, you get to it under the car, be sure to have the key in the ignition so you can rotate the bolt into position.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Roka
Advanced

Just to close the loop on this thread and let future readers know - there is hope!!

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder so I took a couple of days off from the car and recharged my tanks with some positive energy.
Next, I took AZ's advice and removed the intermediate shaft from the car. This was lot easier than I thought it would be. I got under the car with a wrench and my 10 year old daughter countered the bolt from above with ratchet and an 8 inch extension inserted behind the brake booster. This setup worked very well and the shaft was off in a couple of minutes. This may also work with daughters of other ages , but I did not try so YMMV.

Cleaned and greased the shaft and with the rack off the car I tapped the shaft on the rack gear a few times to make sure they mated cleanly. Then I placed the shaft back in the car but did not put in the bolt on the top connection to allow some movement in the shaft.
Bolted the rack loosely to the car, pushed the shaft onto the rack gear, turned the wheel a few times from side to side to make sure nothing was binding and placed the bolts back at both ends of the shaft.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:42 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Hook the u-shaft to the rack before even bolting the rack to the crossmember.

Quick Reply: Connecting a rebuilt rack to the universal joint