944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Temp Gauge - high temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM
car3guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Gauge - high temp

OK, I'm going to try and explain my situation.
I got my early 1985 this past spring and it needed some TLC which I love to do. The A/C was not working, axle boots needed to be replaced, oil & filter change, plugs, gas filter, air filter. Took it to my mechanic which is passionate about his work and he got everything done, and found a few other issues, front struts needed replacing and tie rod ends, and changed the A/C over to current regulations.
After doing this he called said car was done but (hate that when they say "but"), it was overheating (temp gauge was going past the 3/4 mark and at times into the red zone). Now before I took it in I did not have a overheating proble, temp gauge stayed at the mid mark or below. So he ordered new thermostat, change the fan relay and fan switch and still had a problem. So he ordered another thermostat thinking might have gotten a bad one. Still same problem temp would climb under load. You could let the car sit and idle and temp would stay at the half way point. Driving, if it reached the 3/4 mark and came to a stop light it would drop back to 1/2 mark, take off through first and second gear and it was back up to 3/4.
He does not know where to go from here other than new gauge as a option and//or a new radiator.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:52 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Long shot but air can be a pain in the system. Maybe there is an air bubble in the system? Search clarks garage for the bleeding procedure.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:15 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could simply be a bad temp sender, compromised grounds, or a faulty gauge.

When the gauge shows almost red, pull over and put an IR gun on the water neck coming off the head and on the part of the radiator next to the upper hose tie-in. Then report back...
Old 08-18-2016, 04:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Check that your radiator/AC condenser aren't clogged with birds and leaves and stuff.
And that all the plastic radiator ducting behind the bumper is in place.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:46 PM
car3guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the car back to the mechanic this morning, he was not aware the themo switch and thermostat had to be compatable. Also the primary fan (driver side) was not running at all. Maybe if getting the fans to operate as they should the issue will go away.

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge - high temp