944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

1988 porsche 944s

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:50 PM
Yank Lopez
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 porsche 944s

I just bought a Porsche 944 , I am trying to replace the engine gaskets but I do not know if have to put my engine In tdc before removing the belts any help is a appreciated thanks .
Old 08-23-2018, 02:27 AM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, you always should have the engine set on TDC before removing the belts. Use the timing mark on the flywheel, viewed through the hole in the top rear of the engine block. Before you remove the belts, you can initially set it to TDC using the cam timing sprocket marks, then verify it by locating the flywheel mark. A flywheel lock is a plus but should not be needed if you don't need to remove the crank pulley to replace seals.

What is your skill level? Do you have a Haynes Shop Manual? Good tool availability?
Good Luck to you!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Yank Lopez
2nd Gear

This my first time doing a big job like this one , I do not have the service Manual or any special tool. Am I able to move the fly Wheel to Tdc , thanks for the tips .
Old 08-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

With the transaxle out of gear, use a big ratchet (I used a 24" ratchet handle) to turn the main crank bolt on the front of the engine. Be sure to turn it clockwise! This will, of course, turn the flywheel, and you can peer in through the inspection hole on top of the bell housing to see the TDC mark. Another mark to check is the notch on the flywheel; this notch is located around the 7 o'clock position on the flywheel from the perspective of the driver's seat. Of course, you'll need to be underneath the car and have the starter removed in order to see this notch. The more TDC marks you can line up, the more confident you can be that you've got it set properly. You will be MUCH better off with a flywheel lock and a proper tension gauge (I'd recommend ArnnWorx, definitely not a Krikit-style "gauge"). I did this job without any other special tools besides those, and both of them were absolutely worth the money. Read through the procedure over and over until you're comfortable with it, familiarize yourself with the tools, take your time, and you'll be fine.

Post #11 in this thread was incredibly helpful to me when I did my belts: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ming-belt.html

This photo is a nice reference: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mRux7pnbbu...orsche+944.jpg
Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Here's another great resource for our community...good luck...https://clarks-garage.com/

Quick Reply: 1988 porsche 944s