944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Shift issues???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift issues???

Hey Guys,

Sorry if I am over posting, and Hope I haven't burned up all my "idiot questions" but I got an issue.... Maybe you can help.....

My 1984 N/A had one of the loosest, sloppinest shifter ever made by man or God..... So thinks I, I have seen short shift kits on EBay from 944only..... There where cheaper ones there.... But (uncharacteristicly)
I felt I would be holy, and do it right the first time..... I get the unit in.... Brown Santa loves me! And OMG.... This part looks like it came directly from the space shuttle..... To say high quality, is an understatement!

So.... anyway, I spent a couple of hours spooning with my transaxle....... (And after a few false starts, had it in and working.... What A difference...... No longer stirring soup, during gear changes....

Well.... in typical Fred fashion..... If a little is good..... Gobs MUST be better..... I saw the YOUTUBE video, of grinding the pin off the shift lever, and installing the M10x50mm bolt and washers and thrust bearings from McMaster...... Wow.... Great mod.... No lateral slop at all
(Do I miss it, since it has become a nervous habit to slap my gear shift (vigorously) from side to side...... Yes, yes I do mis it...... But wow does it feel good... tight, precise.... Everything I Wanted my 34 YOA ugly and cantankerous sports car to be.... The shift is now a bit heavy, but perfect..... No problem for me.... I am home!

Until..... coming home from work..... ****....can't get the dopy thing into 5th..... Or as later I checked.... Reverse...... Guess I'm on push detail for now..... Anyway, thinks I, my short shift MUST have slipped..... I jacked the car up this morning..... Nothing seem amiss..... What The .... #%€£!!! (Except it won't go into 5th or reverse I realigned the shifter.... (Damn that worked when I installing it last time.....) but to no avail.... 5th and Reverse are beyond my grasp....
And since I fooled with the short shift kit..... And found nothing wrong.... I am thinking tomorrow, I,will pull the boots..... And see if anything is amiss.....

My big worry is that it is not the fault of my simple bolt on upgrades..... But something deep, dark, and indignantly expensive in my transaxle.....

Before I panic and loose my mind.... Anyone have any idea where I should begin my quest to locate the Xanadu that is fifth and Reverse gears?

Thanks!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369; 06-28-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Pull up the leather/vinyl boot on the shift lever and see if your bolt/nut/washer combo is rubbing on the trans tunnel.

Mine does.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Thanks..... Yup..... Next step....... I am hoping it is a minor issue, and not something deep and dark! I am thinking it is just a "setting" issue and not something catastrophic!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

You need an assistant to check the the Trans, Look up in there and see if the pin is sliding in and out of the trans when you go for 5th or Rev....If the pin isnt moving all the way its in the shift linkage in the back (assuming your pin isnt hitting the tunnel)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

flip the bolt and nut around...
Old 07-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Hey Guys,

For the good of the order, I did pull the shift boots, and low and behold... One of the fancy washers had shattered, a fast replacement
With a hardware store washer, and I notice something had shifted, and the. Right end of the bolt was interfering on the outer rim of the shift housing, I turned the bolt around, and am back in business.....

Once I get a new fuel rail..... (Sigh)

Thanks Much!!!
Fred

Quick Reply: Shift issues???