944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Changing Wheel Studs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:42 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Wheel Studs.

How hard is it to replace wheel studs on 86 951 front and back?

Where is the best place to get longer studs?

I plan to put hollow spoke 996TT wheels on the car and will need to add some spacers.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You only need 23mm spacers for the front. And longer studs on the front hubs, easy to change. If you use longer rear studs you wount be able to use the capped aluminum lug nuts. You would have to take apart the e-brake to push the studs thru the hole in the bottom of the trailing arm that the e- brake uses. Not needed if you use the 11" rims on the back with 45mm offset. That's what I have. You DO have to grind off the corner ballance bolt, clap e-brake cable to sway bar, cut and bend the tab that's near the upper torsion mount, and roll the wheel wel lip on the quarter panel. 295 will fit barly if you have very stiff suspention. Otherwise use 285 30 18 tires to be safe. There plenty wide!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:25 AM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
You only need 23mm spacers for the front. And longer studs on the front hubs, easy to change. If you use longer rear studs you wount be able to use the capped aluminum lug nuts. You would have to take apart the e-brake to push the studs thru the hole in the bottom of the trailing arm that the e- brake uses. Not needed if you use the 11" rims on the back with 45mm offset. That's what I have. You DO have to grind off the corner ballance bolt, clap e-brake cable to sway bar, cut and bend the tab that's near the upper torsion mount, and roll the wheel wel lip on the quarter panel. 295 will fit barly if you have very stiff suspention. Otherwise use 285 30 18 tires to be safe. There plenty wide!!!
I have 11" et45 for rear. So, you are not using any spacers? I did the washer test and it seems like I need 7-10mm for clearance.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:44 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Originally Posted by dnwong
I have 11" et45 for rear. So, you are not using any spacers? I did the washer test and it seems like I need 7-10mm for clearance.
Like I said don't use spacers in the rear. You don't need them. I used 7mm on my fronts but I have a late offset front end. You will need longer studs and a 23mm spacer for the front early offset. But you will have to do the clearance prep work I pointed out for the rear rims to fit. You will have maybe 3mm clearance from the corner ballance bolt after its ground down flush with the nut.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Wheel dynamics web page has that information.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 AM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I have 285 30 18 and got everything to clear with a 7mm spacer in the rear. However, on cornering, my tire is rubbing on the inner fender well (part of the body). So, I was thinking about going to a 10-12mm. But then I will need longer rear studs?

Quick Reply: Changing Wheel Studs.