944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

87 944 N/A Bogs at 2k RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:22 PM
AUaviator
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 944 N/A Bogs at 2k RPM

87 944 NA runs fine for a while but once it gets warmed up, it will not go past 2k rpm (unless in neutral or clutch pressed in). It usually starts happening after taking turns faster than a granny driving. Once it starts happening, the problem goes away if I shut off the car and turn it back on but it will continue about 3-4 minutes afterwards.

Fixes I have tried only include new plugs and new wires. The wire to cylinder 3 was being held on by electrical tape so I thought that was the problem but no dice.

Any ideas on the next thing to check? fuel pressure regulator? fuel pump? cap and rotor? I don't want to replace something if it isn't broken.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

pull the vac line off the fuel regulator and see if it improves
Old 07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Mo_focus
6th Gear

oh wow, i just did this last week.

So here is what i did.

Replace the fuel pressure regulator. It helped 75%of the problem, but not 100% still. I decided to use seafoam to see if that will help any matters. My car had been sitting for over 15years so trying to bring it back to life. Used seafoam thru brake booster directions found on google. It worked! Car is running like a dream now. I wish i had used seafoam before buying all the fuel stuff stuff. I was planning on replacing the fuel pump and fuel pressure damper as well, but currently not needed. I do have the parts in the trunk just in case its needed
Old 09-15-2015, 04:50 PM
AUaviator
Track Day

Sorry for the last response, I had to take an impromptu trip to the middle east. Anyways, if it runs better without the vac line on the fuel pressure regulator does that mean its time for a new regulator? Im about to try it out when I get home in the next 2 hours.

As far a seafoam, I put some of that in there and has about half a tank of gas through it since. Hopefully its just the regulator like mentioned prior.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:04 PM
AUaviator
Track Day

Here is a video by the way to better see what I am talking about.

This is while driving.

This is while at a stand still.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:14 AM
AUaviator
Track Day

FIXED: Found the problem for anyone searching this thread. I was replacing the fuel filter and noticed some nasty fuel discharge. Dropped the tank and the interior fuel filter inside the tank was completely disintegrated and rusted. Remnants from this were clogging the main filter and bogging the car under a load.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:22 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mo_focus
oh wow, i just did this last week.

So here is what i did.

Replace the fuel pressure regulator. It helped 75%of the problem, but not 100% still. I decided to use seafoam to see if that will help any matters. My car had been sitting for over 15years so trying to bring it back to life. Used seafoam thru brake booster directions found on google. It worked! Car is running like a dream now. I wish i had used seafoam before buying all the fuel stuff stuff. I was planning on replacing the fuel pump and fuel pressure damper as well, but currently not needed. I do have the parts in the trunk just in case its needed

Did you run through the process here: http://diysrc.com/how-to-seafoam-you...arbon-buildup/ ? While my car runs pretty well in general, it's still in need of just some general cleanup, so I've been debating this kind of a cleaning.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:20 PM
AUaviator
Track Day

Previous post fixed it slightly but it was still bogging at 4k-4.5k after further testing. I replaced the fuel pump and is now running the way it should all the way to redline.

Quick Reply: 87 944 N/A Bogs at 2k RPM