944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New 944 Owner - Question re: Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New 944 Owner - Question re: Wheels

Soon to be owner of an 87 944 n/a. This is my first German cars coming from Mostly Japanese cars.

I am a newbie here. Please forgive me for asking stupid questions.
I do not like the phone dial wheels that come stock with the car. I prefer the earlier 944 wheels (the one with the black center and aluminum lip). I searched the forum and realized that my 1987 has a higher offset than previous years? (is this true?).. If so, then I would not be able to use the previous years wheels?

What options do I have for rims other than the phone dials I have? Will 911 rims fit? What years? What kind? Do you guys have a pic of a 944 with high offset wheels other than the phone dials? How does cookie cutter rims look like and how does "Fuchs" wheels look like?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may wish to check out the www.wheelenhancement.com website for a good primer on Porsche wheels and what fits what. It should give you an idea of what to look for when shopping around. Be aware that in addition to the offset issues the Porsche bolt circle is unique which narrows the wheel choices. Essentially most any late offset wheel will work on your car. There are some issues with larger than 17" wheels on cars not designed for them.

It sounds like the earlier wheels you like are either Fuchs (good choice) which are well identifiedwith 911's 0f the late 60's through the 80's, or the cookie cutters (that have a star shaped center). Unfortunately they don't fit.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:07 PM
944Play
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Tom
Be aware that in addition to the offset issues the Porsche bolt circle is unique which narrows the wheel choices.
Also, Porsche wheels use ball/radius seat lug nuts/bolts.

Quick Reply: New 944 Owner - Question re: Wheels