944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

My S2 Cab top is stuck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:08 PM
porsche924
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My S2 Cab top is stuck!!!!

I go to put the top up on my 90 944 S2 Cab yesterday and about halfway up it just stops. I checked the fuse and it looks fine to me. I can hear a relay clicking from back where the drivers side motor is when i hit the switch. The top won't go up or down. it also seems like the right side has moved fasrther forward then the left. Any suggestions on how i would go about fixing this? I have had the car for about 3 weeks so i don't know much about it yet.

Thank you
Bobby
Old 08-09-2003, 02:43 PM
porsche924
Instructor

The relay up in the battery tray(g21) does not make a clicking sound when i hit the switch, but i do get clicking sounds from the rear of the car.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are 2 electric motors underneath the rear window tray that drive 1 swing-type gearbox on each side via flexible shafts. From the symptoms you describe, one possibility is that the motors are failing. However, there are microswitches on the right-hand gearbox itself, that can also be causing the problem, given that you're hearing a clicking sound and they may not be making good enough contact to start the electric motors.

I had the same happen in my S2 cab and since I heard the parts were quite expensive and preferred manual operation anyway, I never fixed it.

You can switch the top to manual operation by loosening the two big frame axle bolts, one per side behind the side trim panels, in the rear seats. Pop off the caps in the panels and undo the bolts within with the tube wrench provided in the tool kit. The process is described in the owner's manual. Once the axles are loose, fold the top forward and lock it that way by tightening the bolts again to keep the axles aligned, unless you wan't to leave it in "manual mode," in which case you would leave the bolts loose.

Since you probably can't have the top half way open for very long, you may want to operate it manually until you get the electric function repaired. The manual says the frame axles will have to be realigned before operating it electrically again.

Good luck.

Last edited by Luis de Prat; 08-11-2003 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:55 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another thing you can try,

remove both side panels,

the big gear's you can see are hold all in one bit by a big bolt
this is the emergency bolt luis was talking about you usually pop the plastic to access this in an emergency.

its occured that bthe one not moving maybe cos this bolt is loose, hence the gear is not tunring, also a worm gear and/or assyembly may have worked loosed

check all the electrical connections and make sure the relays (switches are ok)

holla back if you need to

A
Old 08-11-2003, 09:08 PM
porsche924
Instructor

i figured out the manual operation thing and did that. With the top disconnected from the moving gears by loosening those nuts, i still just get a click coming from the rear. I am going to leave it manual for now, i am getting the manual about servicing and repairing the cabrilet mech. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
There are 2 electric motors underneath the rear window tray
Just thought I would mention that early MY89 S2 cabs do not have electric top. I'm not sure if all MY89 S2 cabs have manual tops though ...

Quick Reply: My S2 Cab top is stuck!!!!