Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 04:47 PM
savage944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Race Hood anyone????

Follow the link to the orginal post:
Original Post

The hoods are light, tough, multi-layer hand laid with gel coat and darn good looking.

Ok people here is the question:

Who would be interested in quality OEM Style race Hoods (lift off)

This post was started in the Water Cooled Discussion Areas > 924/931/944/951/968 Forum

It started with me complaining about the cost of fiberglass prices, especially when a friend of mine has a shop and does pieces for all sorts of cars.

I got mad, I want a custom hood for my car and I am getting it. In the process he will be making a mold for the OEM Base Hood that I will customize, so that means I will be the owner of a OEM Mold and could do more hoods:

So far looks like $285-300.00 end cost to buyer for a Hand laid Fiberglass hood with gel coating and reinforcement. The reinforcement is a nice touch. On the porsche hood it would follow the OEM hood shape.. in other words it would trace around the hood just like the underside of your hood.

Total lift off hood, requires Hood pins. His hoods are fantastic. I was at his shop we spent a few hours going over the details of what I want just so I could get an idea of what he can really do and he will do a one off for me, but we agreed that the best thing is to do a OEM mold and then add what I want. SO.....

Ok so three styles of Hood:

(1) OEM look Race (lift off) hood requires hood pins front and back
(2) OEM look Semi Race Hood, requires hood pins in front but is setup to use of Stock Hinges. Little more work and materials required than 1 above
(3) OEM look Semi Race Hood, setup for Stock Latch and Hindges. Little more work and materials required than 2 above.

So the Cost(average)
Style 1 285-300
Style 2 320-335
Style 3 365-385

He also tells me there is a way to facilitate a lift off and hinge model in one hood. The rear Hood pins could be mounted to a piece of metal that matches stock hinges and then you have a hood that will lift up with hindges or pull the pin and the whole hood lifts off.

Oh yea he tells me He has a special agreement with FedEx and they ship all his hoods Air Express thats like a 3 day delivery time and no trucks, no mis handling no freight, etc... from his factory in a reinforced box, to the plane hand loaded with care and onto destination... all 50 states, dont know the cost to each zip but I will get that info. He gave me an example:
he said to Chicago from his Shop is like 70-80 dollars, rough estimate. Freight might be cheaper but the handling wouldn' be better. So he ships only FedEx Express...

I paid for the R&D and its underway, so another question is will "Anyone want a hood besides me?"

Look I foot the bill for the R&D and MOLD so thats done, now its a matter of anyone else want a hood

I am not a sales guy, so not my thing. I would however like to recover my costs... or not... but just dont know if other people would be interested??

Maybe I am just chasing my tail on this... I want to hear other people pipe up on this.

So What does everyone think?? Well speak up or email me if you think its worth it check out the posts in the other forum... would you buy one?

I guess if you want the Carbon Fiber look you could have the carbon fiber sheet added by a shop that does that, good article on that in one of the recent magazines... any my friend doesnt do Carbon Fiber, but carbon fiber sheets can be bonded to the hood once you got one.

Picture is off a Mustang with a Style 2 Hood
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2003, 05:07 PM
savage944
Racer

This cracks me up, people stop and look, but no one voices their opinion, this isnt a sales pitch I want people to voice their views, opinions, etc...

Is their interest, how do they feel about the prices on the parts out their, what else should I consider, hood scoops, custom hoods etc.... If you ever wanted something special for you car, speak up... tell me about it... give me some idea of what I should consider doing or not doing????
Old 08-03-2003, 09:47 PM
savage944
Racer

K I looked at some of the pictures on the Cooling scoops and the 968 inter-cooler setup, it is possible something like that could be done for the 924/944. Anything is possible. Guess it would be a matter of demand. So if anyone has anything else let me know.

First thing on the board is the OEM hood in the three styles I mentioned in the other posts and I posted to the Website:

Your Basic Website

Once and if I got those going, I could work with my friend to develop something like the 968 setup. I am sure their are other versions people have in mind. Just have to figure out what enought people want.

Look I am one guy working with a friend who owns a shop To do my hood, so I need the comments coming. Once I get a feel for what people want I can go in other directions.

So KEEP POSTING IDEAS AND COMMENTS!!

Email if you wish at savage944@yahoo.com
Old 08-04-2003, 12:01 AM
NICK G.
Instructor

i'am new to fiberglass,with that said i also need a new hood. what would be the benefits of the fiberglass and how is the repair for chips.and would you be able to paint to Porsche original colors and at what cost?i'am sure if you could guarantee that the hood would fit like the original people would be interested.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:35 AM
savage944
Racer

Talking Trust me (hehe)

Well as for fit the mold is off my Stock HOOD 84 944 NA.

If you look at some of the pics I posted you can see what the finish would be like.

Every piece I have ever bought for the cars I have owned I got from my friend and I Have never had problems. The hoods are very resistant and can be painted to any color.

Fiberglass pieces can be really rought or very clean and the gel coat makes a huge difference.

The only part of the hood that ever required any prep for me on my other cars was the underside, needed some block sanding and then I sent them off to be painted.

Of curse I have a friend who does that as well... so I always got a good deal, I think the most I ever paid for Paint job on a hood was 250.00 with them doing the prep, painting both sides and a single 8" race strip on the hood. The Avergae I think was like 150.00.

Look even if you got a used hood, you still have to paint it to match your car, and I would think the prep on a used hood would be a lot more than on a new fiberglass hood.

Look at some of my other posts for pics to see what the finished product should look like without paint.

Call a few paint shops ask them what the would charge to paint a hood both sides or just the top, whatever you would want. They should be able to give you a rought estimate, but of course, they will not give you something firm till they see what they are working with.

follow this link for some pics, or look for my other posts:
OTHER POST

Trust me.... he says....
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2003, 01:46 AM
savage944
Racer

Ok so I am looking into the NACA scoop set up.. anyone want to coment on what sized the would like to see... 2", 6", 8, 10, 12, etc... opening.

Anyone know how big the the stcok 924 Turbo NACA stytle scoop is? Dimensions Please.

Also same question on 968 Turbo S and RS
Old 08-05-2003, 10:05 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.carbontrix.com/ Check this site out. They have nice vents. I bought one to use on my 944 turbo race car .. to vent the intercooler air... but have not installed it yet.

944turbo
Old 08-05-2003, 11:55 AM
savage944
Racer

Yea its a great site and has the kind of vents I was thinking about using...
Old 08-08-2003, 04:34 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in. I want one!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:34 PM
siznycle_man
Intermediate

I am interested so please keep me updated. My email address is mjp@powermadd.com

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Race Hood anyone????