944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Question about removing camshaft sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Allldi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about removing camshaft sprocket

I want to remove my camshaft sprocket so I can remove my camshafts. I have the triple square bolt in the center removed. Do I have to remove the three "temporary retaining bolts" that I installed in the sprocket to get the sprocket off or does it all come off together? I still have the bolts in and I thought it would just slide off of there all as one piece but it doesn't want to move. If I do have to remove those "temporary retaining bolts" that I installed, then how do I keep the proper timing of my camshafts for reassembly?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:18 PM
Allldi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone knows the answer to this question, please let me know. During removal of the camshafts, there are three bolts called "temporary retaining bolts" by the factory manual that are supposed to be installed into the camshaft sprocket where the distributor rotor bolts are normally installed. They are supposed to be installed in order to keep the camshafts in time while the central triple square bolt is removed. Now that I have the triple square bolt removed, does anybody know if I have to remove those three bolts to get the sprocket off? I don't want to remove them unless I have to.

Quick Reply: Question about removing camshaft sprocket