944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 01:06 AM
Chuck Bogenberger
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Speeding Ticket

I just got a ticket. My parents and I negociated a deal. They would let me buy the car, 87 944S, if I would not speed. They said if I got a ticket for speeding, they would revoke my driving priveledges for six months. I tried not to speed, but you all realize how hard it is not to speed when you have a car that is built to cruise at around a hundred and ten MPH. Anyway, it is killing me! As I wait at the bus stop, I can see my white Porsche sitting in the driveway. It realy sucks. I am looking for legal advice, if anone knows about lowering the sentence for a speeding ticket. I hope to continue drving in six months, but the state of Colorado may say something else. It is my second ticket. My first was a four point ticket, 55 in a 40,this one was a 65 in a 35. He wrote me up for six points, but did not include wreckless diving as one of the charges. Hekp please. If I have ten points on my lisence I doubt I will get it back after six months sinceI will only be 18.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Tye
Instructor

Don't do the crime if you can't do the... oops, sorry... didn't mean to preach. I can't help with the ticket, but once you get back on the road I'd suggest that you start attending Driver Ed events at the nearest track. Not only do you become a better driver, but (at least in my case) it should keep you toned down while driving on the street.

BTW, sounds like you have great parents.

Tye
89 S2
Old 07-20-2002, 11:40 PM
icat
Race Car

Yep, I agree with Tye. Half the fun of owning these cars is KNOWING what they will do so you don't have to. Letting a teenager have a Porsche is a leap of faith by your parents - I think you know they're right on this one.

As for the ticket, I'd suggest hiring a lawyer to see if you can get the penalties reduced. There's not much else you can do.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:15 AM
Tabor
Drifting

a lot of municipalities will negotiate for you to pay a heavier fine in exchange for 0 points. I would get a lawyer.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:55 PM
James S.
Intermediate

as a fellow teenager driving a 944 i know your pain. no not the ticket since i did what they said. started learning how to drive it on a track and tone down my driving on the street. makes it more fun on the street to since you are more conrolled and you can have more fun without going 110. lawyer is bout all that will save you know though. get a lawyer get some classes. then you be driving like your in la mans. good luck man, your fellow denver member,
James
Old 07-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Tye:
<strong>I can't help with the ticket, but once you get back on the road I'd suggest that you start attending Driver Ed events at the nearest track. Not only do you become a better driver, but (at least in my case) it should keep you toned down while driving on the street.
Tye
89 S2</strong><hr></blockquote>
While I would agree with that, I must give you a fare warning: DE and track driving DOES NOT mean that you can run without abandon! PCA DE/track people do not tolerate reckless drivers. If you go to the track, you need to be able to control not only the car, but your emotions and your right foot!
Oh, and don't expect to be the fastest one there: there are many, many seasoned veterans of track who drive at these events, and they can blow your socks off driving in REVERSE!

Just IMHO,
-Zoltan.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:10 PM
ziominix
Intermediate

Sorry about your luck, it seems you either need to slow down or buy a radar detector! As a fellow 944 owner I know 65 can be a comfortable speed in 35 zones. The speed limits obviously weren't determined with cars like ours. I'm only 15 so any time I do get to drive my car its with my mom in the passenger seat, so although I haven't yet gotten a ticket, I know what its like to be yelled at for speeding! Hope your able to work things out.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HEY GUYS!!! Porsches are great care and have great handling and brakes but the laws of physics and human reaction do very definitely apply. The lower speed limits are almost invariably there for a very good reason and when that child darts out in front of you, well you damned well be able to stop from whatever speed you're going. The open road is a somewhat different story still higher speeds require concentration and experience that I very much doubt you have at 15-18. The lesson to be learned is the self discipline to maintain the privlege of driving and Porsche operation.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:33 PM
Chuck Bogenberger
7th Gear

[quote] started learning how to drive it on a track and tone down my driving on the street. makes it more fun on the street to since you are more conrolled and you can have more fun without going 110. <hr></blockquote>

That's cool. Where in denver do you drive? How expensive is it to drive on the track? I have the potential to be a good driver, that night was probably the first night in two weeks that I had driven irresponsibly. If there was somewhere that I could drive for fun, I would be a better driver on the road. Also, do you need to modify your car to drive on the track? Thank for all the replies. You guys are all right about the fact that I need to drive more responsibly.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:13 PM
SICAONE
Racer

Definitely take your car to the track. You will definitely get a lot of that fast street driving out of your system. I personally have. A track day will propably run you between $150-$250 depending on the group and track you go with. Some groups may require you to bring a helmet.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:59 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's a little late for this post, but I just stumbled onto it. Just an FYI-I've got a little kid-and you never ever know when they are going to do something stupid-like chase a ball into the street-learn your lesson the easy way...

Second-most assistant prosecutors will let you plea the ticket down yourself-no need to pay a lawyer. Call the prosecutors office, and tell them what you want to do, they may ask for a copy of your driving record (go to the drivers liscense office-it costs $5). Generally you will double pay the FINE, but not the court costs-and the court costs are the big chunk.

Hey-listen to all of these other reply's-and enjoy the car responsibly...

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket