944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

'87 944, Runs great, but slow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM
lsvtec.crx
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 944, Runs great, but slow.

So I found an '87 944 with 70k original miles on it and picked it up for a friend of mine. When I drove it home it wouldn't stay running, idled like crap, but it would really move if you gave it gas. Over the course of a couple weeks or so I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, ignition wires, igniton coil, starter, all vacuum lines, power/ground cables, intake manifold gaskets, both IACV hoses, and I flushed the IACV. Now the car runs like a dream, starts right up, idles perfect, etc, but it has no power. If you mash the gas there isn't much acceleration. Before, if you were going 55 and put the hammer down, it would downshift and take off. Now it stays in the same gear and slowly accelerates. It wasn't an issue when he had the car, because he said he never had the urge to drive fast, but now the car is mine and it won't get out of it's own way. Any ideas? Did I possibly mess up the vacuum routing? The only thing I can think of is, when we replaced the intake manifold gaskets the IACV came unhooked from the manifold as we were wrestling the manifold into place. We couldn't figure out why it sounded like it was "missing" we drove the car home (~4mi) with the IACV unhooked.

Quick Reply: '87 944, Runs great, but slow.