88 944 Sunroof Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
knights89
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 944 Sunroof Issue

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts!
Hopefully someone can help me with an issue I am having with my sunroof. I searched the forums for approximately 4 hours yesterday, but could not find my issue. I have a 1988 944 8V. I am the original owner. Last month I brought it out of my garage, as I always do. I live in NY, and garage it for the winter months. Everything seemed ok. The other day it was nice out, so while I was driving I pressed the sunroof button to pop up the roof. All of a sudden I heard the sunroof popping up and down slightly. I pressed the button to lower it, but it didn't help. I pulled over, looked up at the sunroof, and noticed that the roof was above the arms. I pressed the button, and the arms retracted, lowering the roof. I pressed it again, and the arms raised up to the lock position. The car was running. I know that if the key is in the ON position, the arms are supposed to raise up to vent or down to lock. If it is in the ACC position, the arms are supposed to retract to allow removal of the roof, and raise up to lock. In the ACC position, the button does nothing, and in the ON position, it does what it is supposed to do in the ACC position. I know the Clarks Garage website had a procedure (ELECT-18) to test the sunroof operation. I followed the diagnosis for the Sunroof relay (everything else passed) and found what I believe is the issue, but do not know what to do.
In checking the button wire voltage, in the ACC position, at terminal 2, there is 10 volts. In the ON position, at terminal 2 - 0 volts, at terminal 1 - 12 volts. In checking the supply voltage to the relay (relay removed) in the ACC position - terminal R - 12 volts. In the ON position - terminal A - 5 volts. I had the Battery and Alternator tested, they are both OK.

I tried to be as thorough as I could. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by knights89; 05-16-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Forgot Something
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Snootybooty9
Track Day

On my 84 944 the sunroof only goes up I got it back down but ain't gonna put it back up took awhile to get down. on my car the worm drive broke its a 400 dollar part. No matter how bad I wanna open it in the warm air I'm not gonna.
They might have changed the system in the late models not totally sure.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM
knights89
4th Gear

bump
Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
TurnerJ
Racer

try posting your question in the more general topic thread 924/944/951/968 under the water cooled heading. there is a lot more traffic there.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM
vwghia-guy
Track Day

Originally Posted by knights89
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts!
Hopefully someone can help me with an issue I am having with my sunroof. I searched the forums for approximately 4 hours yesterday, but could not find my issue. I have a 1988 944 8V. I am the original owner. Last month I brought it out of my garage, as I always do. I live in NY, and garage it for the winter months. Everything seemed ok. The other day it was nice out, so while I was driving I pressed the sunroof button to pop up the roof. All of a sudden I heard the sunroof popping up and down slightly. I pressed the button to lower it, but it didn't help. I pulled over, looked up at the sunroof, and noticed that the roof was above the arms. I pressed the button, and the arms retracted, lowering the roof. I pressed it again, and the arms raised up to the lock position. The car was running. I know that if the key is in the ON position, the arms are supposed to raise up to vent or down to lock. If it is in the ACC position, the arms are supposed to retract to allow removal of the roof, and raise up to lock. In the ACC position, the button does nothing, and in the ON position, it does what it is supposed to do in the ACC position. I know the Clarks Garage website had a procedure (ELECT-18) to test the sunroof operation. I followed the diagnosis for the Sunroof relay (everything else passed) and found what I believe is the issue, but do not know what to do.
In checking the button wire voltage, in the ACC position, at terminal 2, there is 10 volts. In the ON position, at terminal 2 - 0 volts, at terminal 1 - 12 volts. In checking the supply voltage to the relay (relay removed) in the ACC position - terminal R - 12 volts. In the ON position - terminal A - 5 volts. I had the Battery and Alternator tested, they are both OK.

I tried to be as thorough as I could. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Been there. After an exhaustive set of electrical testing, turns out is wasn't electrical at all. Back at the sunroof motor, there is a plastic arm that the cable attaches to. As the cable moves to raise/lower the sunroof, the arm swings and contacts the safety microswitches which allow for proper operation. The arm the cable attaches to had broken and allowed the arm to swing free. Replaced it and fixed my problem.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 88 944 Sunroof Issue