New 944S2 owner, Few minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Squatting Ninja
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944S2 owner, Few minor problems

Hey guys,

My first post here so I will introduce myself. I have been a Porsche nut for as long as I remember, my 1st was a 924 (lol) when I was 18 and its grown into an expensive love over the last 7 years so I am happy to add the S2 to the collection.

I almost all of the work on my cars myself

A list of the P cars in the growing collection are:
1990 944 S2 (Loved this car so much when I got the 924 but could afford it, the right one came along and I had to have it!)
2007 Boxster S
1988 928 S4
2006 911 GT3

I thought I would make a list of all the issues here instead of clogging the board on my 1st post

The interior lights. They just wont go off, when I manually depress each door switch I can hear a relay click but the lights refuse to go off. I have tried holding them for over 20s and no luck. With all doors closed and the engine running the lights will still stay on. I pulled the door switches and tested them and they are functioning correctly.

When the car is cold the starter functions correctly and sounds fine, when the car is warm or been started a few times within an hour or so it sounds like the starter is not disengaging for 1/2 a second or so after the car has started.

A small amount of air seems to always come out of the fan vents. The fans function and speed up more on each click of the switch but when its on 0, I can still feel a little air being pushed through.

I had a central locking issue from the drivers door so pulled the handle and checked the micro switch and found the locking direction to be non responsive, is it a common issue with these switches or should I investigate the wiring before swapping the switch?

If I turn on the trunk light it is totally useless, has someone out there developed a kit to give better trunk lighting or should I just come up with something myself? When I goto the gym there is an under ground carpark and it is pretty impossible to see anything in the trunk with that light location?!?!

I noticed that the rear 1/4 speakers are 4x6, in the 924 I had it was just a matter of making some new mounting holes and chucking some 6.5s in there, I assume the S2 would be the same?

Last question, the battery in the trunk is just hidden by one of the side boot flaps with the top completly exposed when you lift the flap, was there originally a second cover in this place?

Thanks in advanced guys and sorry for the long 1st post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Squatting Ninja
Advanced

Update 1:

Ive got all interior lights working normally and all doors trigger/turn off lights after 20s but when I start the car the lights all come on and stay on, short circuit somewhere or something else?

Cheers
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
944hal
Pro

The stock S2 battery position was against the passenger side firewall in engine compartment. Somebody move it?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Squatting Ninja
Advanced

Hey 944hal,

Someone must have moved it then. I was surprised when I saw it was in the boot after expecting it to be up front but the whole way it is mounted and seated in the wheel well it looked standard and well done so I just thought the factory re-located it. If you would like I will take some pics. I guess that answers my question about the second cover though, cheers!

Thats one question off the list!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Where are you? If you have right hand drive the battery was placed in the trunk at the factory.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Squatting Ninja
Advanced

Cheers for the response xs, that does make sense, I thought the battery setup looked too good to be done by a PO from past experience. The car was imported from the UK so your dead on, it is a RHD.

Once im happy with how the interior looks I will snap some pics. Did these cars originally have raising blocks for the seats? If I clip the drivers and passengers floor mats in place with those buttons the bottom of the seat doesnt clear the standard overmat at all. All that would make sense is raising blocks were removed by PO though the seats are electrically height adjustable. Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM
savantauto
Instructor

The fan always blows at a very low rate even when the control **** is in the -0- position. I believe the technical term that GM called this functionality was flo-through ventilation.

My 951 does the same thing. Says it is supposed to in the owner's manual.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first car at 16 years old was a 1982 924. Great little car, but I was always envious of the "cooler" 944 body! When I saw a 944S2 available in Guards Red with low miles, I had to have it!

Quick Reply: New 944S2 owner, Few minor problems