944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Question re: post timing belt replacement adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 PM
snoel
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re: post timing belt replacement adjustment

I own an 89 944 S2. PO records show a timing belt replacement 8 years ago. However, it also showed instruction from the shop for the PO to go back in and have the timing belt inspected and reajusted at 2,500 miles. I have since had all the belts, seals, water pump, etc., changed (250 miles ago). Do I need to take it back to the shop in a few months to have the belts reinspected and adjusted?

Doesn't the S2 come with an auto tensioner? How does one manually adjust an auto tensioner? I know this was an issue with manual tensioning, but what's the purpose of having an auto tensioner if you you have to go back after 2500 miles and have it adjusted? The shop tested the auto tensioner and found it to be working at factory specs. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mainly Peace of Mind, because if the Cam Belt breaks you will need extensive work done on the Head Valves or a New Head. Did you get the Cam Chain Tensioner plastic Pads replaced? Again if they break a New Head or Cams will need to be replaced. Cheap insurance to replace them. Any way you look at it it is mega $$$$$. A rule of thumb used on the Safe Side, 30K miles or 3 years on belt change. Water Pump every 60K Miles or sooner if leaking.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
snoel
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I agree. It's cheap insurance, that's why I had it done. Yes, I changed out the chain tensioner pads while I was in there. However, my question centers on the insptection/adjustment of the new belts at 2,500 miles AFTER install. This seems overkill and possibly impossible given that I have automatic belt tensioner.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The normal Cam Belt will stretch and is normally tension checked at 1500 - 2000 miles. A BIG IF the auto tensioner is working properly should work to take up the slack. Just me, BUT I don't trust enough NOT to check manually. Check out Van's Video List on DIY stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8T1SPook_k

Cheers,
Larry
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snoel
I own an 89 944 S2. PO records show a timing belt replacement 8 years ago. However, it also showed instruction from the shop for the PO to go back in and have the timing belt inspected and reajusted at 2,500 miles. I have since had all the belts, seals, water pump, etc., changed (250 miles ago). Do I need to take it back to the shop in a few months to have the belts reinspected and adjusted?

Doesn't the S2 come with an auto tensioner? How does one manually adjust an auto tensioner? I know this was an issue with manual tensioning, but what's the purpose of having an auto tensioner if you you have to go back after 2500 miles and have it adjusted? The shop tested the auto tensioner and found it to be working at factory specs. Thanks.
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. https://rennlist.com/forums/8003463-post6.html
4. The "auto" only means it "automatically" sets the correct tension when loosened. You loosen it to auto tension then tighten it to lock it.

Quick Reply: Question re: post timing belt replacement adjustment