Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Timing belt tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
slap929
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt tips

I have been working to replace my camtower gasket and timing belt while I am at it. I was told that some people cut the old timing belt and simply slip in the new one. How is this done? Some detailed directions would be appreciated. I have read clarks garage, but dont have a flywheel lock or balance shaft spanner. I was again told i could do without. Thanks for the help.

Blake
Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of people will tell you lots of things about lots of stuff. Not all the advice is of equal quality. The trick is discerning the valuable stuff from the BS.

1) Read Clark's garage write-up carefully and completely. Use this as a basic reference for a reality check.
2) Strictly speaking, you can do without the special tools, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it's the smart way to proceed. For example, you _can_ tension a belt without a tool using your fingers to gauge tension, if you know what you are doing. If you are inexperienced, I'd recommend Bruce Arnn's tool set, or at least a Krikit 1 to measure belt tension.
3) If you can't afford a shop to do the work, and can't even afford to buy the basic tools necessary to do the work yourself, you really have to ask yourself: Can I afford to run this car? If the honest answer is no, you might perhaps consider waiting until your situation changes before taking on the care and feeding of a P-car, regardless of the entry price to ownership. An undermaintained P-car inevitably (and surprisingly quickly) becomes just an embarrassing pile of junk.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done a pretty good number of belt jobs. Best bet is to find someone in the area who can help you and who has the right tools.

I bought the 9201 tool after borrowing one from different people. Since I have the tool I know the difference between 2.7 and 3.0 and it is not much at all so I use the tool on every belt job I do. Be careful and get someone to help you.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Lots of people will tell you lots of things about lots of stuff. Not all the advice is of equal quality. The trick is discerning the valuable stuff from the BS.

1) Read Clark's garage write-up carefully and completely. Use this as a basic reference for a reality check.
2) Strictly speaking, you can do without the special tools, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it's the smart way to proceed. For example, you _can_ tension a belt without a tool using your fingers to gauge tension, if you know what you are doing. If you are inexperienced, I'd recommend Bruce Arnn's tool set, or at least a Krikit 1 to measure belt tension.
3) If you can't afford a shop to do the work, and can't even afford to buy the basic tools necessary to do the work yourself, you really have to ask yourself: Can I afford to run this car? If the honest answer is no, you might perhaps consider waiting until your situation changes before taking on the care and feeding of a P-car, regardless of the entry price to ownership. An undermaintained P-car inevitably (and surprisingly quickly) becomes just an embarrassing pile of junk.
+1

Mike
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 PM
slap929
Pro

I have read clark's garage and have made it all the way to the belt tensioner using that and texas blake websites. Because I have a late model with the spring autotensioner and am going to go without the special tool to measure tension(and the 9201 tool). What made you assume that I dont have money, I dont know. I was simply confirming with people that posted that changing the belt in this way is possible. I would much prefer to do my own car work and I believe that I am capable of doing so. I am just going to bump the page where this was originally posted. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slap929
I have read clark's garage and have made it all the way to the belt tensioner using that and texas blake websites. Because I have a late model with the spring autotensioner and am going to go without the special tool to measure tension(and the 9201 tool). What made you assume that I dont have money, I dont know. I was simply confirming with people that posted that changing the belt in this way is possible. I would much prefer to do my own car work and I believe that I am capable of doing so. I am just going to bump the page where this was originally posted. Thanks for the responses guys.

Hi Blake, I found that the autotensioner gives repeatably good results as long as it is in good condition. I bought the Arnnworx tool kit complete, but now tension with the autotensioner as per the manual.

Note that the procedure for tensioning is different with the autotensioner as it is on the opposite side of the belt. You don't "backpedal" the motor by 10 degrees. Here's the page out of the manual if you need.

Cheers,
Mike
Attachment 483955

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 12-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 AM
azmi951
Drifting

I found even with the spring tensioner I needed the 9201 tool.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Naplesguy69

Please allow me to jump in here, I live in south Florida and also wanted to do the belts myself as well,maybe with the kevlar.Not to steal the thread but is there anyone in the area that can help me and has the 9201 tool ?I only have 10k miles on my belt but it is 5 years old and I want to sleep at night.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Best bet is to post a new thread in both this and the NA forum.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

kewl,thanks!

Quick Reply: Timing belt tips