944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

86 944 no start, possible fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 PM
camaro430sut
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 no start, possible fuel pump

Heres the deal, way back when my dad bought this 944. It was his pride and joy for the longest time and basicly the car that got me into cars. Lots of memories riding around in it as a kid. Over the past six years its sat in his garage as hes pretty much lost interest in it. Last week, I caught wind that my evil stepmother was looking to junk the poor car without my father knowing. No way could I let this happen, one its my childhood car and two its in too good of shape. So I told them Id take it. Now onto my dilema....Itll crank, has spark and will kick over on a shot of starter fluid. I am not gettin fuel. Jumped the DME and still cant hear the pump prime. The gauge in the car reads empty so I put 3 gallons of gas in, still empty. I popped the hatch and pulled the fuel pump out, got a full tank of gas. Im just looking to bounce some ideas off you guys and Im open to any suggestions you have. Would the gauge reading empty even though its full and the fact the pump doesnt prime with the DME jumped lead you to believe its a dead pump
Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you were cranking over the engine did you look to see if you had TACH Needle bounce? No TACH Needle bounce means the fuel pump will not work and you need a new Speed Sensor to send a signal to the DME to start the Fuel Pump. I would drain out the old 6 yr old fuel. What you removed to check the gas was the Fuel Sending Unit and that needs to be cleaned of old fuel varnish to read right. Be careful as the wires are small that the cork slides up and down on freely. Grounds on these cars need to be kept clean for proper contact. Nearly all electrical Gremlins stem from bad Ground Points. The Fuel Pump is located aft and inboard of the rt rear tire. Remove the panel cover to access the fuel pump. (DISCONNECT THE BATTERY). Clean the wire connections on the fuel pump with a brass brush. You can clamp the tank to pump line with Vice Grips just enough to stop fuel from coming out. You need to change out the Fuel Filter and make sure the Fuel Pump Check Valve on the out flow side of the fuel pump is cleaned good. I had my car up on jack stands and that's where I drained the fuel from into 5 gal cans. That old fuel will gum up the fuel injectors. They most likely need to be sent off to be cleaned and new seals put on anyway. I hope some of this will get your car running again. Use clark's garage.com for shop maintenance help.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 08-24-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-29-2010, 04:05 PM
camaro430sut
7th Gear

I cranked it over today. The tach needle moves. Not much but it does bounce around while cranking. Im assuming this is a good sign. Im pretty mechanicly inclined but my knowledge is geared towards GM cars, this Porsche stuff is mostly new to me
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Hello, The TACH Needle shows the Speed Sensor is still good. It will only show about 1/16" bounce. About the best place to send off the injectors is Witchunter. They clean and install new o-rings and the correct pintle cap and show a print out of the injector performance. You can bench test the fuel pump by removing it and hookup a battery to see if it will operate. You only do the connection for a few seconds as more time will burn out a dry pump. You can buy a second hand pump from someone who parts out cars for about $50.00 or less. Do a Search on here for, 944 No Start, and it will bring up a group of no start past posts

http://www.witchhunter.com/index.php4

For the Fuel Sender (Fuel Tank Level) you will need a new gasket. For the Fuel Check Valve you will need three crush waskers. Check out 944online.com.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-13.htm

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 08-29-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
camaro430sut
7th Gear

Bit of an update. Got a good, known good fuel pump in today. Still nothing. It doesnt prime and I get no pressure at the rail. While I had it all apart I checked voltage at the pump, with both key on and while cranking. I get nothing with key on and .08 while cranking. I DO have tach bounce and I DID jump the DME. Im begining to think this is a ground issue. So, where do I look for grounds on this thing. I traced the fuel pump wires and they appear to go into the car where they then disappear into the main harness. Also, I noticed a few other items that arent functioning, no power mirrors, no power roof allthough I can hear the relay click I get nothing from the motor, and no rear wiper. Possibly aslo a grounding issue? Is there a main ground somewhere. Everything else seems to work. I should also bring up that this car has an aftermarket alarm. I dont like these and I dont know if this has a fuel pump kill. There is a switch under the dash but flipping it doesnt change anything. Same thing with the key fob, nothing changes. Im thinking I will remove this alarm next and see where that gets me. I would also like to clean the grounds, specificly the fuel pump ground
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
camaro430sut
7th Gear

Fuel pump runs now. Drained all 10 gallons of old gas and replaced with 2 gallons of new. Aftermarket alarm has been removed. I think it was the alarm that was keeping the pump from running. To get the pump to run I need to jump the DME, it wont run with the relay in place. With ether it will crank over but wont run. I pulled the plugs and they are not wet which leads me to believe the injectors are not firing. Also, while i had the plugs out I checked for spark. I am not getting any spark. Does the DME control spark and injector firing or do I have all kinds of other problems? Im wondering if the DME itself is shot.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Check out the picture of ground locations in the below link. The main ground for the battery is located on the top of the bell housing. Put tape over the clutch inspection hole before you remove the bolt and washer so nothing drops into the clutch area. Clean that area and the wire ends good. All solid Brown wires are Ground Wires.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...locations.html

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 09-02-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
rudevr6
Instructor

hey-- i had the same thing happen to me, i found that the fuel pump is grounded by the tailight, check that!

Quick Reply: 86 944 no start, possible fuel pump