Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rop3
I debated so much back and forth decided to go the semi stock route and use all the parts from a turbo S modify the engine during rebuild slighlty. It seems the best for the $$ as I know there are a lot of diff things going on but to do a proper 3.0l your looking at 20k addnl.
WOW!!! I have a long way to go!! Nice cars.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

It looks like we are up to about 7 Cabriolets on the thread but I've seen others in the other forum. Help get their cars, build stories and pictures over here!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:03 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rop3
I debated so much back and forth decided to go the semi stock route and use all the parts from a turbo S modify the engine during rebuild slighlty. It seems the best for the $$ as I know there are a lot of diff things going on but to do a proper 3.0l your looking at 20k addnl.
i know the feeling. i've been just slowly buying stuff on the cheap when it pops up. all the while prices for motors keep falling. then mikes thread pops up and i like the idea. i don't have to have killer power, but i thought it would be great to keep the 16v and do it his way. then if something were to fail, i could upgrade it at that point. it's an ongoing labor of love and with parts around in spades, i believe it's doable.

plus, there are more and more turbo swaps popping up. i've seen entire motors for $2k from time to time. who knows, i may end up doing the same thing you are doing. most people don't notice the "16 ventilier" on the side anyway.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:23 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White cab's have got to be the sexiest cab color. Then again...yellow 968 cab's are damn nice...

Lumbergs car is simply amazing. I wish I had gotten a S2 Cab instead...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Guys just seen this thread interesting to see some of the very nice cars on here.
Mines a 90 model, with a lot of mods, I tend to play with it as its not a daily driver anymore.
Has koni yellows all round, upgraded progressive springs upfront, 968 MO30 front and rear sway bars, all brakes rebuilt, Carrera Sport 17" alloys with 5mm spacers. (very pretty alloys)
Engine is turboed, I intially did a low boost conversion which was excellent, loved it, around 380crank HP, made it a real nice car to drive.
Since then have gone a bit silly and totally rebuilt the engine with forged rods/pistons etc, this time looking around 500 crank HP, but still assembling the engine, have been to busy with work and other things to finish it.
rgds
mike
The following users liked this post:
Warrentdo (05-29-2021)
Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikes3.0cabturbo
Hi Guys just seen this thread interesting to see some of the very nice cars on here.
Mines a 90 model, with a lot of mods, I tend to play with it as its not a daily driver anymore.
Has koni yellows all round, upgraded progressive springs upfront, 968 MO30 front and rear sway bars, all brakes rebuilt, Carrera Sport 17" alloys with 5mm spacers. (very pretty alloys)
Engine is turboed, I intially did a low boost conversion which was excellent, loved it, around 380crank HP, made it a real nice car to drive.
Since then have gone a bit silly and totally rebuilt the engine with forged rods/pistons etc, this time looking around 500 crank HP, but still assembling the engine, have been to busy with work and other things to finish it.
rgds
mike

Great car Mike! I would love to see more pictures. There seems to be a common theme: M030 Sway Bars, brakes, Konis, etc.
I'm starting to see where I need to go with my car.

Anyone know how we can do some sort of survey to see how many cabriolets we can come up with?

**On another topic, can a rear window be replaced on a cab top or do you have to replace the whole top? **

Kory
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wcfrog
\**On another topic, can a rear window be replaced on a cab top or do you have to replace the whole top? **
Kory
Great question - I wonder the same thing as my rear window is getting tired but my top looks fine.

I just gave a call to a local shop - they said the window used to be able to be replaced separately but they're no longer available due to previous fittament issues.

So he gave me a quote for the whole thing being replaced for under $2000. That's more reasonable than I thought it would be.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this nice initiative. I've been suggesting and hoping for a "944/968 cab forum" here for quite some time but it hasn't materialized yet. Anyway, here's my factory 951 cab which I've had for 8 years now. No mods, other than 968 M030 wheels, caster blocks and sways.

Really curious about what other cab owners are doing with their suspension, as I will be needing new rear shocks soon. I also own a U.S. spec S2 cab that's completely stock. Replaced suspension with dealer parts on it a few years ago, but I'd like something a bit sportier for the Turbo.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Luis I can't believe your coolant tank is as clean as it is! It's WHITE!!!

Also on your third photo it didn't come up at the office I'm working from today - something about it being **** or sex related. I guess car **** qualifies as vulgar huh?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
Luis I can't believe your coolant tank is as clean as it is! It's WHITE!!!

Also on your third photo it didn't come up at the office I'm working from today - something about it being **** or sex related. I guess car **** qualifies as vulgar huh?
Hi Fernando, no, the coolant tank was replaced last year. I have replaced all the white plastic reservoirs -coolant, washer fluid and brake fluid- along with a bunch of other restoration parts that don't qualify as mods, really.

As for the 3rd photo, a friend took it and hosted it on an image hosting site called wrunch.com. Don't see how that could relate to ****, but the photo is pretty sexy, though!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 PM
TReedCooper
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'll bite. I purchased my 1990 S2 Cab at the end of January. It is in need of a lot of TLC, but the price was right. So far I have replaced the steering rack, the power steering pump is leaking also, but not nearly as bad as the rack. Belts, rollers and water pump from Paragon Parts should arrive Monday, and a wrenching party is scheduled for the first Saturday in April.

With the car, came new Koni's for the front along with H&R springs. There are Koni's on the rear. It has a funky rear wing that has to go and a ton of cosmetic issues that have to be addressed, but the mechanical issues are going to get attended to first.

One issue I have right now is the steering wheel is not centered since the new rack was installed. The rack itself is centered, but the steering wheel is not. I have been told that there is a clock spring that can be damaged if you just take the wheel off and center it like you would on a non-air bag car. Anyone BTDT.

Thanks for any input.

Tom
Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

[QUOTE=Luis de Prat;6401435]Thanks for this nice initiative. I've been suggesting and hoping for a "944/968 cab forum" here for quite some time but it hasn't materialized yet. Anyway, here's my factory 951 cab which I've had for 8 years now. No mods, other than 968 M030 wheels, caster blocks and sways.

Luis,
You've got the car Cab owners in the States only dream about. VERY NICE!

Lets keep the thread going!!! If you see other cab owners on the other forums direct them this way. PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES
Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TReedCooper
One issue I have right now is the steering wheel is not centered since the new rack was installed. The rack itself is centered, but the steering wheel is not. I have been told that there is a clock spring that can be damaged if you just take the wheel off and center it like you would on a non-air bag car.
I've taken my steering wheel off plenty of times. Just make sure to disconnect the battery so your airbag doesn't accidently go off.

There is a spring but it doesn't need to be touched if you're just removing the steering wheel and aligning it to center. So you should be okay.

Good luck with the cab!

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Hi Fernando, no, the coolant tank was replaced last year. I have replaced all the white plastic reservoirs -coolant, washer fluid and brake fluid- along with a bunch of other restoration parts that don't qualify as mods, really.

As for the 3rd photo, a friend took it and hosted it on an image hosting site called wrunch.com. Don't see how that could relate to ****, but the photo is pretty sexy, though!
Ah - that explains it. Yeah all of mine are a yellowed color. They're still functional but not as pretty as they should be.

Once I got home I saw the third picture...nice!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
Great question - I wonder the same thing as my rear window is getting tired but my top looks fine.

I just gave a call to a local shop - they said the window used to be able to be replaced separately but they're no longer available due to previous fittament issues.

So he gave me a quote for the whole thing being replaced for under $2000. That's more reasonable than I thought it would be.
Replacing the window often warrants replacing the whole top because the labor is nearly the same.

The top has two sections. I paid $800 for a Robbins top plus another $650 for the install back in 1999, so the price you were quoted sounds about right.

However, the costs starts to escalate if you need to replace any of the seals, as they are exceedingly expensive and only available through your Porsche dealer. The cost of the seals alone for my S2 cab was over $1,000. Usually they will hold up for years, but depending on how much your car has been exposed to the elements, a few will start to drop out and need replacing.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yep luis likes to hurt a few feelings every now and then with his pics.

the konis tend to be good replacements for worn out shocks which is one reason most end up this way. i dont' know if any cabs came with mo30 or not, but doing the 968 bars and koni yellows up front are also logical next steps for replacement parts. definitely livings things up a bit. big reds is an entirely different experience.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?