944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

My 1991 944S2 eats batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1991 944S2 eats batteries

After adding Iceshark's full boat package with lights, alternator, and wiring upgrades my original battery worked fine to two years. That battery then died, and I replaced it with a Duralast Ultra (Autozone 'high end') and it lasted a few weeks. Taking it back, they said a plate in the battery had been burned up due to high current. Two more Duralast batteries later, each lasting a few weeks, and they gave me a full refund.

I then went with an Interstate battery. That seemed great, but after I stored the car for a few months it has an issue. If the car sits for a weeks with no driving, the battery is dead and needs to be recharged.

Current draw when parked it 91 milliamps. What do you think the issue might be here? Where should I start investigating?

thanks,
Bryan
Old 07-27-2008, 12:37 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

had a very similar problem (same car!) and all I can tell you is that right after it started happening, my driver's side door lock crapped out...a small spring from inside the door lock mechanism jammed it and I think it was messing with the alarm...setting it off. I guess I should mention that the PO disabled the alarm horn....so I had no idea this was happening until one day when I charged up the battery and noticed the interior light flashing and heard a clicking from the passenger foot-well.

Long story short I had the power lock solenoid replaced in the driver's door and have been fine since.

Quick Reply: My 1991 944S2 eats batteries