Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

1987 944S - How to keep running sound??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
johnnyd1979
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 944S - How to keep running sound??

Hello everyone,

I have owned a 1987 944S for close to a year now. I was hoping someone out there can break down for me everything they would reccomend I do to keep my car running sound. It has 146K on it, and it has been a pleasure to drive since day 1. I am only the second owner of this car, and this spring I want to change the timing belt, water pump and cam chain tentioner. Other than this, what should I have done? What part companies are good to use? I hear good things about Zims and Pelican. Is there a one-stop shop that can get me everything I need for the best value? Eventually I want to get summer tires and a new suspension put on it, but I mainly want to ensure that the engine isn't in jeopardy. What should I do to ensure it keeps running well for another 100K? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

All the best,

John
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you listed is good. With that mileage on the chain tensioner, and/or if you don't know when your belts were done, I'd be in a hurry to do all those items. When doing the tensioner it's a good idea to do the j-tube and perhaps even the chain too. Some people will say don't do the chain because of the potential wear on the cam sprockets.

Be sure to do the balance shaft belt while you are in there. You can also do a front engine reseal (look for a kit) if it has never been done. If your clutch is original... start saving money now. It might not have a lot of life left (surface and/or rubber center).

Check Pelican. They can usually get everything you need. Sometimes you'll find something slightly cheaper elsewhere. Frequently when you tally the shipping from several vendors you would have spent just about the same or less at Pelican anyway.

Also, check out http://www.arnnworx.com/. There are some specialty tools you will need for the belt job. They pay for themselves in the long run if you do your own work.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Good to hear from a "S" owner out there. There is an "S" specific site on here, but with next to no activity.

The car can be a lot more fun when you get to the suspension part. With that milage You might con sider putting some Konis and S2 sway bars on. Maybe even 968 M030 bars. It will change the car along with the summer tires.

Ryan
92 968 cab
87 944S
Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 AM
corsa180
3rd Gear

I'll echo what rmconnor80 said about the belts and cam chain. Make sure you change the timing belts religiously every 30,000 miles, and adjust them after about 3,000 miles. Also, change the cam chain tensioner every 60,000 miles.

Other than that, also make sure you change your oil and filter regularly. Personally, I use Mobil-1 synthetic.

The 944S is a great car and will run forever, if you keep it maintained.

Eric
87 944S - 170,000 miles
02 Boxster - 40,000 miles
Old 05-02-2008, 11:44 AM
SnPaC
AutoX

So from what i am reading, the S does require a bit more maintenance when you factor in the timing chain system? i understand the tensionors cost ~$200 ish. How much more labor?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
nemo9xx
Track Day

I'm also a 944 S owner up to 6 years now, and still absolutely happy with this car, if you can upgrade the suspension with koni, new bushing, spring, torsion bar and sway bar, you wont be disappointed, in fact it's unbelievable .

BTW keep away from Auto Atlanta it's the worse store to deal with
read this if want to know why :
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/99005-automobile-atlanta-sux.html

Nemð
Old 05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
nemo9xx
Track Day

Oh Yes I forgot to tell you which store are good to deal with :

www.paragon-products.com
www.944online.com
www.lindseyracing.com
www.rennbay.com

and remember avoid Auto atlanta I never never see this kind of service, NEVER!

Nemð
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget Pelican Parts.

The chain tensioner is about $365 new. Some people just replace the plastic ramps, which are about $125 or something silly.

Also, when you replace the tensioner, some people recommend replacing the J Tube oil supply for the tensioner. This is about $125.

Lastly, it is a good idea to replace the cam cover bolts. The originals can be finicky and you will feel them flex when removing them. Sometimes they break. If I recall correctly, I needed 4 short and 9 long for my 87 S (this was different than the parts diagram). Like all things Porsche, they aren't cheap, but Rennbay makes some less expensive / better material versions that I recommend.

http://www.rennbay.com/cam-cover-bolt-long-p-140.html
http://www.rennbay.com/cam-cover-bolt-short-p-141.html

On those bolts, they are torqued to 6 ftlbs. Don't go any higher or you will strip the threads in the aluminum head!!!

I just did this job this weekend. It's 2-3 hours tops if you go slow. It was the easiest thing I've done on my car yet... I opted to replace the whole tensioner, the J-Tube, and the bolts. I did not replace the chain (a lot more involved). I figure with all these items, I should be set for many many more years, rather than having to worry about if the j-tube will break, etc, in a year or two.

Quick Reply: 1987 944S - How to keep running sound??