944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Shimmy in the wheel, hops on bumps....help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM
jrbballin30
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimmy in the wheel, hops on bumps....help

About three weeks ago I purchased a 1986 Porsche 944 NA. I took it by a Porsche mechanic to get it checked out prior to purchase, and he noted that the two major repairs that would need to occur in the next six months were a new pipe in the exhaust, i think the y-pipe, which had a crack in it, and the front right strut was dry. I've put about a thousand miles on it since I got it, and I have noticed that when I go over bumps at higher speeds, especially on curves, the car seems to jump a little bit and the steering wheel gets a little shimmy coming through it. I also get a little bit of up and down motion after going over small rises or dips in the road. Just wondering if this is a sign that I need to replace the strut sooner or not.Anyone else had this problem? I don't know if its just the fact that I'm not used to sports car suspension, or something is actually wrong. The roads I drive have a decent number of small cracks, potholes, etc. I've seen Koni struts online for 1986 944s for like $250. Are these any good? Thanks for your time guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Konis are very good if they are not worn out. Changing your struts and rear shocks will be the biggest improvement you can make for roadholding, and anything you do in the future will build on this base.

If you have a shot strut, that wheel will bounce around and basicly try to have its way with your car, so I would say definitely it would cause everthing you describe, as well as cause premature wear to your tires and suspension.

If you have ever seen a car going down the road with one wheel bouncing up and down all over the place, that is the shock/strut. Certain road surfaces will cause a resonant vibration in the spring, really making it seem much worse, while a smooth road will almost make it disappear. Your mechanic seems to be telling the truth here. Go for it.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 AM
jrbballin30
Track Day

Thanks for the response. One last question for ya'll. Has anyone else had their struts replaced before? I'm just curious as to the experiences of others as far as the labor costs go? Once again, thanks for your time.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:34 PM
jrbballin30
Track Day

Just took it in to the mechanic. He said he would recommend replacing both front struts. Estimate, including labor was 350 total, so I'm pretty happy.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a real deal. Spring the big bucks and have all four wheels balanced, or at least the fronts.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:16 PM
jrbballin30
Track Day

Glad to know I'm getting a deal! I got lucky when I was looking for a porsche mechanic, because the guy I found happened to be the cousin of my sister in law, so we are pseudo family. I'm short on cash right now so I am just going to replace the front struts for the 350. I forget which brand be mentioned, but he said they come with lifetime warranties, which will be nice to have. Qick question, what do you guys prefer for all season tires? Right now my car has yokohama's on the back, and falken's on the front. I don't know why the car has this arrangement. It was like that when I purchased it. When I do get around to replacing the tires, I was leaning towards yokahama 520s. Any other suggestions or personal preferences?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:57 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a four wheel alignment adjustment once the suspension is changed too.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:25 PM
jrbballin30
Track Day

you mean get the alignment right after i have the struts put in? sorry, i don't know too much about cars, slowly learning with my 944. also, are alignments expensive?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:28 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, after you have the struts put in. An alignment should run you between $60-$80. A good alignment makes all the difference.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:19 AM
jrbballin30
Track Day

sounds good! thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Shimmy in the wheel, hops on bumps....help