944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Double DIN stereo install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double DIN stereo install?

This is sort of cross-post from Turbo forum in the hope that someone has tried.

I was looking at upgrading my HU unit last week and saw the double din pioneer and kenwood units. the screen on those things is amazing. I took out my spare center console and removed the pocket in the lower din and tried to measure but its hard to tell whether it will fit because of the depth of the bottom DIN being shorter. the pioneer AVIC-D1 needs 6.5in depth and my best guess is without any carpeting under the console it is still 1/2in too short. I've seen reference to a two part system in which just the double din touch screen gets mounted in the dash and the rest of the system is installed in the glove box but I could find a model like that.

Has anyone successfully installed one of thse units in a 944?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:25 AM
Zporsche944
Racer

I was thinking about extending the holder out abit, or denting the inside but I was worryed about making to big of dent and that the radio sticking out 1" so I just bought a very nice sony with the 3D effect screen Who needs a tv in the dash anyways like u can fit pass in the back lol. U could have a rear view mirror tv and the dvd player fits in the glove box or under the seat and it hooks up to ur head unit for sound my friend has one in his chev its sweet but I wouldent buy one ( 1000?? I think I can live with out a 3" tv in my car lol maybe buy a 48" for home lol
Old 08-27-2005, 02:03 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you could look into buying one of these types instead: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089333,00.html

The screen pops out of the single-din unit as opposed to the AVIC-D1 unit.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:12 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I visited 2 local installers I respect and after some measuring both thought it would fit but recommended removing all the metal brackets, putting the console back and then confirming the depth was sufficient. With enough depth they would have no problem creating their own brackets for mounting. That being said, I'm sort of on the fence now as two of the people told me that bluetooth should be available in next years models which would be extremely valueable in a car with a manual transmission.

Quick Reply: Double DIN stereo install?