944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

My '83 944 has a cold...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 06:11 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My '83 944 has a cold...

Almost every time I step on the gas it coughs a few times before it accellerates.
The book says to check the plugs for fouling and replace the fuel filter.

plugs very light tan and now a new filter.

then it suggests checking the air setting on the injection system.

I marked the original location and tried changing slightly either cw or ccw up to 3/4 turn with out any improvemnt.

any other suggestions please

thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
athens944
Pro

check the J-boot. make sure that it is clamped properly on both sides. make sure it is not torn. also, see if it is attached properly underneath. How is the idle?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
livewirevoodoo
Instructor

vaccum hoses?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

Well. J-boot is fine, all connections ok, smooth idle, vacume hoses appear ok and all connected.

thanks all, still a mystery
Old 02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
jharding
Rennlist Member

It could be a failing TPS. My car exhibited similar problems last year on the track at Tremblant. It got progressively worse until I barely made it back to the pits. After checking everything under the sun (and moon and stars) we tried another TPS. The car ran. So my barely two year old TPS went bad. Of course that was the last thing we checked because I knew that part was fairly new. Of course the car was fine the six hours up to the track (but hey, what's wrong with driving 12 hours round trip, 4 nights motel, meals, to drive 20 laps at Tremblant!)!

The problem with trying to check the TPS is that the tests don't seem to really work. If you turn the throttle cam (with engine off) you should hear a click as soon as you move the cam. If not then the TPS is bad. If it does click (as mine did) it doesn't necessarily mean it is good. It may be full of water, as they are prone to collect rain. You can take it apart and check. If it is then it's toast. There is a voltage test in the Haynes manual, but the tests I've done on 3 different TPSs all came out with different readings than what was in the book. So that gave me little confidence in the voltage readings. If you've gone through everything else (DME relay, DME, FPR, Ref sensors, coil, spark plugs, cap, rotor) then you may want to buy a new TPS.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

Thanks all, I get back to you all.

Quick Reply: My '83 944 has a cold...