Looking to buy a 944s2 1990

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:46 PM
newbie944s1990
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 944s2 1990

Okay,
I need some guidance and what better place to get it than from a bunch of Porsche junkies (fondly). I am considering buying a 1990 porsche 944s cab with a maintenance history of at least 8 years same mechanic that specializes on Porsches. It is a 1990 944s Cab with around 133k. I think I can get in the game for $7500. It is the blue on white and I wanted to use it as a everyday driver. It appears to be very clean and well taken care of. The exterior is excellent with the exception of a door ding and a ding on the rear quarter panel. Any advise on how to convince the wife on selling the 2003 Kia with the great extended warrenty for the Porsche would also help. We have another reliable car that she drives. This would be my commuter. I am going to test drive the rig tomorrow. I have the name and phone number of the mechanic as well. Considering that everything is on the up an up should I be overly conserned about maintenance cost. I only anticipate putting around 10k on it a year. And does the price seem fair?

Okay Z,

You are right it is an S2 no small detail I am sure. I going to test drive it tomorrow.

Last edited by newbie944s1990; 02-16-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, it's a 944S2 cab, not a 944S (There is a difference).

Anyway, $7500.00 is way too low for this car. I smell something fishey. Does the car run?
Maintenance costs are high on a 16-valve 944. Trust me - I just replaced a cracked head last fall, and after all was said and done, my wallet was $5500.00 lighter.

Check the following:
1. Cam chain guide/tensioner - if it hasn't been replaced yet, it must be replaced immediately. The life expectancy of this unit is about 100k miles - any more time, and you are waiting for disaster!
2. Clutch - the rubber centered clutch vibration dampener is probably toast by now. If you hear clanknig noises while slowing down or shifting, then you need a new clutch.
3. Motor mounts - these usually need to be replaced before 100k miles.

I would definately get a pre-purchase inspection done by an independant shop. $7500 for a 944S2 cabrio is a very very low asking price - I suspect the car hasn't been well maintained, or is in need of some serious repairs. The 944S2 is NOT a car you buy on the cheap - it will cost you much more in the long run.

Let us know what you find!
-Z-man.

PS: I have a little checklist of things to look for in a 944 - if you want to use it, let me know - just PM me your email, and I will send it your way.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 PM
livewirevoodoo
Instructor

If legit, sounds like a great find.

Everything Z-Man said, *especially* the pre-purchase inspection.

Advise on selling the wife on selling the Kia, with a warranty, for a 15 year old Porsche... hmmm... I still get the "I told you so" look from my g/f after selling a '99 Altima recently out of warranty. Only the look, mind you. I think she got tired of saying the words. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:09 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I bought a 90 S2 coupe in Oct for 8500 and it had 135K and had every and I mean every service record on the car since new! Cab with that many miles should go for more then a coupe for sure. I would take it to the one of teh local dealerships in your area like stevens Creek Porsche or something and get a PPI done on it. But I would be a little on the cautious said as that it really low price for a S2 cab

Good luck
Brandon
Old 02-17-2005, 05:37 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've seen the ad for this car -- the car looks fine in the picture, but for that price, I'm thinking that must be a catch... But then it's not too ridiculously low given the miles and the time of the year. Definitely get a PPI done by an uninvolved independent mechanic -- that's your best option -- proceed with caution. I'll be in your neck of the woods this week -- give me a shout if you want me to look at the car.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:46 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thought: there's a 60K miles S2 cab also up for sale in the East Bay -- asking price of $12.5k. And the seller says fairly recent belts and clutch -- both are big ticket items. For $5000 more, this one might be a better buy given the lower mile and recent major maintenance. I suggest inspecting both of these vehicles.

When you go to the independent mechanic for the PPI, get an estimate on a clutch job -- you'll be surprised at how expensive it is. The cost of ownership is going to be much much higher than the KIA...
Old 02-17-2005, 09:01 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

newbie, just a few short thoughts

1> There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche

2> Maintenance like anything on a highly tuned car is dependant on the care the car has had and how you look after it. IT's not any more expensive in terms of serviceing than any other 944 varient

3> Cheap does not mean bad: why is it cheap, does the guy need money, getting married ? I know a Divorcee who sold her old mans BM for the first offer she got, £100 just outta spite

4> WHY.... drive it man, you will be blown away, there is nothing like driving an S2 cab with the top down, and the wind in your hair.

if the car checks out, then get it

you'll never regret it

Ade

ps look at my website on my s2

www.playback.demon.co.uk
Old 02-17-2005, 09:03 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Old 02-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Checklist sent.

Good luck!
-Z.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:59 AM
fisherman
Intermediate

i agree get an expensive s2 with loadsa bills and special care ,your geting your moneys worth and less hastle.i got a cheaoer one and im now paying which is ok but not ideal.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:11 AM
danb4
Intermediate

I bought an 1991 S2 for a similar price with 112k miles about 6 months ago. (see the link below....that's my S2 now)

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/142558-1991-944s2-cabriolet-for-sale.html

During that time it has ran great and been quite reliable, it now has 116k and it is a daily driver. My first porsche...and it's an awesome car. I did hold onto my other vehicle for a while because I didn't know what to expect. I am now selling the backup though...I trust the Porsche.

However...the following items are on my list:

1) Top tore a little bit, need to get it fixed, rest of the top is ok.
2) Top quit working, had to convert to manual....kinda like it that way, but will fix sooner or later
3) Power steering started leaking.....need to fix
4) Clutch is original...still doing fine....for now...gonna nail me for $1500+ sooner or later.
5) Need to pay my shadetree Porsche mechanic to go through it & check belts, etc...it was all done before I got it....but I need to check it anyway.....that's gonna cost a bit.
6) Already starting to think about getting some different wheels when the tires are worn out.....
7) **** on heater broke first day I drove it...need to replace
8) shifter boot is old ...need to drop $45 to replace
9) stereo is flakey...need to either fix it myself or spend a few hundred getting it sorted out.
10) dash clock needs to be replaced or at least covered with a stick on one that works
11) Shocks and struts are original....I will replace them sooner or later...should be sooner but I'm not in the mood to spend the money.

The entire list would equal a decent chunk of change. And I bought an S2 in very nice condition. It's a 14 year old car....can't expect it to be perfect.

My previous car was a hyundai elantra that cost almost nothing to drive...gas and oil....never a problem. It had no list like the one above...it needed nothing.

Buying the S2 is not a finantially wise move. Period.

But I have to say....when I was zipping through traffic on the way to work today and flew around the exit ramp with nary a squeak from the tires......I didn't miss the Elantra. When I wind it out to 6k RPM and grab 3rd gear.....it doesn't bother me that I'm only averaging 22.5 mpg.

Don't buy it if you can't afford to feed it hundred dollar bills as a snack...and occasional larger meals of much more. If you want a practical commuter....an S2 cabrio ain't it. But I sure do love commuting in it anyway.

The s2 is a very well balanced car...it isn't blisteringly fast, but whenever I get on it...I'm amazed at how far I've pulled away from traffic without feeling a big rush of speed. The Turbo guys get the adrenaline....I'm just stuck with a car that does everything perfect with no drama. As for pushing the limits in the thing....hehe...over my head...much better car than I am a driver. Thankfully, it's fun at any speed....so I don't need to drive it like an idiot to have fun. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

My 2 cents: I think you should keep the Kia.

And....enjoy that cab once you get it anyway.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:18 AM
livewirevoodoo
Instructor

Dan - I'm going to say you're list is fairly typical of things to fix. My 944NA was similar. Alot of "rough edges" it seems like.

Definitely things to anticipate. I weighed the critial issues (what were the real safety issues, and mechanical issues that had to be addressed, i.e. new radiator, timing belt) and what were cosmetic issues (new stereo, faded emblem, missing "9" in the 944 badge, etc..). Sadly, the mechanical issues is what hits your wallet. I priced all the cosmetic fixes at less than $400, but I knock those out $20 at a time. Gotta set priorities. It took some patience to have to drive a kinda shabby looking porsche which was mechanically sound than to drop my dollars into a mint looking time bomb.

Dan, ya definitely don't have to drive like an idiot to have fun, and your not getting old. Rev it to 6000 and drop the clutch from a stop light, and after 5 or 6 times, you'll be looking at a $1,500 clutch job. I let the kid with the honda win the stop light drag race and drive my 944 as conservatively as a mini-van... lol
Old 02-18-2005, 07:04 PM
newbie944s1990
2nd Gear

Thanks for the Feedback gang, and I am glad my wife is not a rennlist member. If she was she would surely discourage the investment. I think I am gonna pass on this one and look for the 944s2 that has had more major repairs, the clutch was soft and the doors weren't shutting smooth among other things. I didn't have the best feeling about this particular rig. I think I would rather pay more initially and start further up the food chain. Thanks for the feedback. The Kia isn't that bad, I quess.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Credit_Card_Guy
Advanced

Newbie -- If you are looking for a cheap initial entry to the world of Porsche, I would suggest looking at an 87 - 89 944 NA. They can be found with low miles, good repair records, and at really good prices. Plus they are not as expensive to maintain as the 16 valve engines. I have had both (87 944 & 89 944S2) and still think the 87 was one of the best cars I have ever owned.

But always remember -- if it is to go to be true.........................

Kevin S Smith
Old 02-19-2005, 02:47 AM
danb4
Intermediate

newbie....glad you're passing on it. Like I said, mine really was in great shape, but you can see the list I came up with.

Buy one that's rough....LOL...serious bucks.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 944s2 1990