944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Charleston, SC Porsche shops

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Cocytus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Charleston, SC Porsche shops

Hey everyone. I've got a bit of a problem with my 85.5 944, and lack both the knowledge and the time to attend to it properly.

My clutch isn't coming back all of the time. On occasion, say once a week, give or a take a few times, when I release the clutch slowly, it remains half-way depressed. I can easily pull it back out with my toe, and the transmission otherwise works fine.

This happened shortly after I bought the car about 4.5 yrs ago, and it was determined that my master/slave cylinders had failed. That time, the clutch never came back out. The car had dry-rot issues with more things rubber due to a year of relative non-use before I bought it.

I suspect the same thing is happening, albeit not quite as bad just yet. A few nights ago, my brake-fluid level light flashed a few times as I braked around sharp turns, and I've learned that the reservoir is shared. I'm headed out now to pick up some fluid to alleviate this, because my car's my daily driver, and this is a stop-gap solution to the brake fluid. What it doesn't solve is why this is happening.

I don't know all that much about working on my car, and am in the US Navy stationed in North Charleston, SC. My job doesn't allow me much free time aside from part of the weekend, and since my car's my daily driver, the prospect of not being able to use it for a few weeks as I slowly learn/fix it is painful.

I'd like to know if my diagnosis, seems appropiate (checking the brake fluid in a few minutes will probably help with this, I'm guessing), and more importantly if anyone knows of a reliable, fair, honest shop around the North Charleston/Goose Creek area that I can talk to about fixing this.

I am very receptive to ideas about how I can solve this myself with little pain. I'm told I'm fairly intelligent; it isn't above me learning this, it's just a matter of time/money vs ease/need.

Thanks in advance!

-Josh
Old 12-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Cocytus
AutoX

So, um, no recommendations on shops around South Carolina? I mean, I KNOW it's the South, but there's gotta be at least ONE shop that's worth a look, right?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:12 AM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know you are asking for a private shop. but you might try my brother @ Baker Porsche, ask for Mike.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:18 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, sounds like you are losing fluid somewhere, usually the master or slave cylinder, or the rubber hose that runs between them. Usually when the master cylinder leaks, it gets your drivers side floor wet with fluid (towards the firewall) Also possibly the small hose that runs from the brake res to the master clutch (8 inch hose or so)
Old 12-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Cocytus
AutoX

Does that fluid get sticky if it drys out? The bottom of my floor mat got bunched up a little bit ago, which isn't uncommon in my car 'cause those damn things are always scrunching up in the way, but when I went to pull it apart with my foot, it didn't, and a quick check at a stop-sign revealed that the bottom was sticking to itself. I just thought the plastic melted or something (Charleston is HOT in the summer!) dumb like that, and forgot about it...

Gotta find Baker Porsche, see if what they'll cost me.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good question about the fluid, i am not sure. I am not sure what else would make your floor mat stick though
Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Autometrics
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.com/

great people
Old 12-25-2004, 04:28 AM
SeattleS2
Advanced

There's a good shop outside Columbia called Dr. Brown's or something. They're actually at like 356 Porsche Drive or something like that. I had them do some work on an Audi while I was in college, and I know there were some good shops in the "up country", but I can't remember any off hand.

Quick Reply: Charleston, SC Porsche shops