Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

WTF Happened to engine mount availability??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 12:11 PM
Niku
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTF Happened to engine mount availability??

My 944 is overdue for some new engine mounts. I had looked into them almost 2 years ago, and thought I remembered seeing OEM equivalents from Rein, or maybe even the dealer for like $200-300 a pair. I put it off because I hadn't been driving much, but now that I'm thawing it out for the spring I went to order some.

It looks like the only 2 options now are:

1.) Meyle or Hamburg Technic ripoffs for $90/pair
2.) Genuine Porsche for $900+/pair

I've read only bad things about Meyles failing quickly, but I simply cannot spend a thousand bucks on some rubber disks. Is there anything I'm missing here? Can anyone weigh in on the Meyle's maybe not being that terrible?

Old 04-03-2024, 12:33 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 238 Posts

The Meyles are a short term solution. Plan on replacing them every year.

The URO are the Meyles with the meyle logo ground off. Plan replacing them every six months.

The Porsche ones are much more expensive, yes, and they last much, much longer.

It's like the old riddle about divorce.... "Why does divorce cost so much?" Because it's worht it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 931guru:
bobinnova (04-09-2024), Niku (04-08-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 12:57 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru
The Meyles are a short term solution. Plan on replacing them every year.

The URO are the Meyles with the meyle logo ground off. Plan replacing them every six months.

The Porsche ones are much more expensive, yes, and they last much, much longer.

It's like the old riddle about divorce.... "Why does divorce cost so much?" Because it's worht it.
Im running Meyles (Mahles? or maybe they are URO) for the last 5 years no issues and no need to replace. However, I only put on between 2-5k miles per year (autox/hpde and the occasional summer cruise). Theyve been fine...

IMO the OEM porsche mounts have been over hyped, over rated and over priced. Maybe if you daily the car or run lots of miles per year, OEM is better from a longevity perspective (and cost of paying someone else to replace), but most people arent doing that so... It really depends on your use case. For my use, the cheap mounts have been perfect.

If they do ever fail, dropping the subframe isnt too big of a job, especially with a manual rack (and the fact that my labor is free), so the cost benefit simply isnt there for me to warrant OEM mounts 10x the price of aftermarket with no noticeable difference in feel/vibration or longevity that Ive seen... Maybe that will change someday but Im not convinced the extra costs warrants the benefits, especially if you arent putting on lots of miles.

My 2c

Last edited by walfreyydo; 04-03-2024 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Niku (04-08-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:58 PM
Tony5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Im running Meyles (Mahles? or maybe they are URO) for the last 5 years no issues and no need to replace. However, I only put on between 2-5k miles per year (autox/hpde and the occasional summer cruise). Theyve been fine...

IMO the OEM porsche mounts have been over hyped, over rated and over priced. Maybe if you daily the car or run lots of miles per year, OEM is better from a longevity perspective (and cost of paying someone else to replace), but most people arent doing that so... It really depends on your use case. For my use, the cheap mounts have been perfect.

If they do ever fail, dropping the subframe isnt too big of a job, especially with a manual rack (and the fact that my labor is free), so the cost benefit simply isnt there for me to warrant OEM mounts 10x the price of aftermarket with no noticeable difference in feel/vibration or longevity that Ive seen... Maybe that will change someday but Im not convinced the extra costs warrants the benefits, especially if you arent putting on lots of miles.

My 2c
Interesting. I put whatever 944online sells in my car, probably Hamburg-Technic. Everything I've read since then leads me to believe they probably failed the minute I took them out of the box, and that OEM mounts are the only way to go. Hearing that your non Porsche mounts have held up is a pleasant change of pace.
Niku (04-08-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:15 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 207 Posts

I can really only vouch for my own experience and use case, others may have different experiences. Being that mount replacement is not a huge job with a manual rack, I figured I would try them and if they go bad in a few years, replacement wont be very difficult. I couldnt justify the cost of OEM porsche. Ive been happy and surprised by the cheap mounts, thats all I can say.

PS - Tony, we need to get together once the weather warms up and I get the car out and about - Ill reach out next time I need to make a trip your way

Last edited by walfreyydo; 04-04-2024 at 10:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by walfreyydo:
Niku (04-08-2024), Tony5 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 02:00 PM
Tony5
Instructor

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
PS - Tony, we need to get together once the weather warms up and I get the car out and about - Ill reach out next time I need to make a trip your way
For sure. My weekends are about to get crazy with work, but we'll figure something out.
Niku (04-08-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 02:04 PM
Tony5
Instructor

I did see a post from Tim Comeau showing a cracked oil pickup tube, and he believed it to be due to vibrations from cheap mounts. I guess we'll see if my money saving works out for me long term..
Niku (04-08-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 08:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I had luck with the uro brand mounts. I had a set fail after a number of years, contacted them about durability after reading all the threads, and they sent me a new set free of charge. Said they had never really heard of people having issues, which is why they were eager to help me…

so if you do have issues, it’s more valuable to tell the manufacturer than just complain on an Internet forum to people who can’t do anything about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by V2Rocket:
bobinnova (04-09-2024), Niku (04-08-2024), Tony5 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Niku
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

@walfreyydo Thanks for the input, that's good to hear. I'm usually coming in less than 5K miles per year these days too, so I'll give them a try. I could totally understand the OEM's being worth it for people on the track or daily driving, but probably not for my use case at the moment. Also, good advice @V2Rocket , I wasn't complaining about the product yet, more of a complaint about the complaints lol

Quick Reply: WTF Happened to engine mount availability??