944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Question on springs…

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024 | 02:45 PM
wardie
Rennlist Member

Default Question on springs…

Hello all,

Only my second post here- good to be a part of the site, I made a short intro post, but will add more of a refurb thread when I have time to do it justice.

I am into the second month of ownership, and also restoration… My first aims are to get suspension brakes and steering completely restored, and then enjoy the car for the summer - before selecting another winter project next year.

this brings me to my question- after much much research of forum posts, the workshop service manuals and other great resources on the web, I believe that I may have made a rookie mistake!

my car was fitted with Boge rebuildable struts fitted with blue dot springs, - I have fitted Koni adjustable, and wanted to start out with stock ish springs- say the stiffer rate that Porsche originally specified would have been my aim- to get the feel for the car first.

I purchased a set of yellow dot springs- potentially in a daze of wanting to get going, or just not listening to the facts as written down! And maybe slightly drawn by the description of ‘factory sport springs fitted to the adjustable struts’ that I saw.

in the cold light of day, it seems to me, unless I am missing something that these springs are going to result in a higher ride height compared to my blue dot springs- as they are the same rate, but longer, so therefore in the installed length they will (as the service manual clearly states &#129763 generate a higher load (more preload) and unless I add mass to the front- she going to be high!

so the question is this- am I missing something? Or are my assumptions correct and the car is going to sit higher than design ride height?

And secondly- what is the reason for these springs existence- is the 944S heavier enough to warrant this extra preload (roughly 80kg at the front axle from my mental maths? Or again, am I missing something?

thanks to anyone that can shed light on this, or just give me a second opinion to settle my mind- and sorry to all for starting another spring rate thread! I’ve read quite a few lately…

some pics of the build so far :
​​​​​​​

Old 03-01-2024 | 08:53 PM
IL8APEX
Rennlist Member

The extended length of the strut assembly should be the same regardless of spring, as both springs must be compressed slightly to install the top nut. However, because of the additional preload you are correct in assuming it will ride higher.

You might consider a coilover spring perch to change the ride height, but I am not aware of any that work with the stock 120mm OD springs.

Maybe someone with experience can either tell us how much higher the car will sit.

-Tom
Old 03-02-2024 | 10:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Not 80kg or even close but yes a 16v engine is a little heavier than an 8v engine. It’s been a decade since I compared but it’s 10-20 lbs. the giant cylinder head and extra cam/valve train really do add up.

i think with higher preload for the same rate the yellow spring will resist roll/dive just a little bit more than the blue springs.

944S cars also got brake proportioning valves that the 8v cars didn’t despite having the same brakes all around. They expected the S would be driven harder..

Quick Reply: Question on springs…